Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Airline travel tips

Probably a stupid question but I hate to fly and avoid it.Anyway, I'm hunting Ak this August and think my best deal is with southwest to Seattle,then Alaskan airline to Anchorage.Do I have to get my bags and recheck them into AA after landing in Seattle or will they transfer them??When I did Africa last year my bags were transferred to my next flight for me.Just want to make sure.If I have to run around and get my bags and go back to get rechecked, it would be worth using Alaskan airlines for the whole flight then even if it cost a few dollars extra.I'll pay extra to make my travel easy.Good to hear AA allows 2 checked bags.I'm getting ready to book myflights and just want to find the easiest way thru the airports

If I was the one flying, I would not split a ticket. I want to be able to check my bags all the way through to my destination. To me this is a major issue, particularly since if you have to recheck the bags, you will go through security again. If it is a code-share where (say) United connects to Alaskan, they will check all the way through. However I believe that SW is a special case. Talk to the originating airline.

I believe that the main reason airline service is so bad is that many people make airline choices based on a $10 difference in price.

I know this is an old topic, but I'm looking for help in choosing locks for my rifle case for a hunt I'll be doing this fall. I have a Pelican 1750 rifle case, so hopefully my rifle will be protected. Also any referals for replacement foam for this case. I'd like to be able to have foam cut for each of my rifles to swap out rather than buying several cases. Thanks!

Great information so far folks! Always carry your expensive items (cameras, video cameras, binoculars, range finders, etc.) in your carry on along with any medications you may need. I like to carry an extra set of clothes in my carry on and try to wear my hunting boots and jacket on the plane to save room in my checked bag.

Per Oak's comment, please read and understand the wildlife transport laws for the state you are a resident of. Every state is different and some are quiet strict as to what you can and can not transport.

I'm currently planning my third trip to Kodiak Island for November 2015. One thing I learned early on is that freeze dried meals can take up a lot of room, so my buddy and I purchase them well ahead of time and ship them via UPS (along with other items to be used at camp) to our transporter in Alaska. This leaves lots of room for extra clothing, etc.

Keep the great ideas coming!

Note to self.

Next time when flying your bear hunting raft to AK, beware of TSA employees weilding utility knives. Inflatables do not withstand such treatment real well and irreparable raft damage may force you to rent a dilapidated boat from a nearby native village.

How do I know such things? Just back to Pburg with firsthand experience of having to rent a broken down boat from a nearby native village due to TSA dissecting the innards of my inflatable.

Pics and a bear story for the ages, once I scrape a week of grime from my tired and big bitten body. Not sure if Lawnboy wanted this much adventure on his first AK black bear hunt.

What is the best way to have your meat frozen before you fly home if you are flying out of say Fairbanks or maybe coming from POW?

Does anybody know... I am hunting caribou in alaska and bringing home my frozen meat in foam lined "fish boxes" as extra checked bags. After reading this thread I decided to go check the checked bag fees for my airlines. My return flights are all on American Airlines planes, but the first one is an Alaska Airlines flight operated by American. My question is, since my first flight is through Alaska Airlines, will I be charged their 3rd and 4th baggage fee of $75 for each bag... Or will I be charged the $150 for 3rd and $200 for 4th that American charges?

Okbow87

I would look up the number for Alaska Airlines in whichever city you will be starting your return trip and call to ask them that very question. You may also want to look at having the meat shipped separate, it could very well be cheaper. Just depends on weight and if you are packing it yourself.

Does anybody know... I am hunting caribou in alaska and bringing home my frozen meat in foam lined "fish boxes" as extra checked bags. After reading this thread I decided to go check the checked bag fees for my airlines. My return flights are all on American Airlines planes, but the first one is an Alaska Airlines flight operated by American. My question is, since my first flight is through Alaska Airlines, will I be charged their 3rd and 4th baggage fee of $75 for each bag... Or will I be charged the $150 for 3rd and $200 for 4th that American charges?

Why don't you call and ask them?

Why don't you call and ask them?

Well since it was already beyond their hours of operation last night, I thought I would post the question and see if anybody knew already. That way other people reading the thread might be able to learn from it as well.

What I learned from them today is that I would be charged the Alaska Airlines fee's not American's. This is not always the case though. The agent let me know that with them, United still requires their baggage fee if their airline is used in your flights. Also if there are international flights incolved, that carrier's baggage fees will apply. She also said none of that is the same every time. So it is best to call and check instead of being surprised at the terminal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back