Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

air or foam sleeping pad

Big Agnes Q core. I also take a cheap blue foam pad for backup and extra warmth, the foam pad has multiple uses and weighs nothing.

I have the Thermarest NeoAir X-lite as well. I did a bunch of research before choosing it. Way lighter, packs smaller, and more comfortable than anything I had been using. It is a little noisy, but well worth it.

I am a big fan of the insulated Nemo Cosmo. Mine has the integrated pump which I'm 50/50 about getting if I did it over again. But I LOVE the 3 inches of cushion.

Put a few feet of duct tape around your water bottle. Get inflatable. Go hunting. Unless will be in parts of TX, AZ or NM where everything sticks you and jabbing things are on the ground. Use foam there.

I may have got a lemon but my Klymit's release valve didn't make it very long. It leaks air even when shut all the way. I still use it with some duct tape that I put over the valve after I blow it up and it actually holds pretty good. Need to replace the duct tape about every other time I use it.

I experienced the same think npaden. 3rd week out in the field my went out.

I bought one of these pillows before backpacking season last year. Just bought another for my wife. Mine shipped all the way from China, so I had some concern, but for $10 figured it was worth a shot. Hers is shipping locally. For me, sleep is MUCH better with a pillow, and 2.5 ounces is reasonable. I generally put my fleece or a layer I am not using on it to increase the "coziness" factor.

Naturehike Portable Inflatable Pillow

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C6YXM7K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I really like my Thermarest Prolite Plus. Has foam and is inflatable, so if I'm in the backcountry and it leaks I'm not SOL.

I prefer air and I've had great luck with a Big Agnes air core. Mine is probably of an older generation than those mentioned above. I've been using it over a decade, but possibly not as many nights as those above.

Your black vs white comparison of foam vs air is not all that accurate. There are many pads that utilize both and many of the air pads use additional materials to increase the Rvalue.

I have several Thermarest Prolite. They are great pads, but they are sitll only 1+" thick and dont truly provide enough comfort from the ground. Its better than the ground, but you will feel roots or rocks if they are there.

My newest pad I got last year and went with the Neoair XLite. The newer versions have tamed the "crinkle" noise of the aluminized liner. I am really picky about sound and I tested this several times. No problem with the new one. Its been on 10 days of backcountry elk hunting and no complaints at all.

My buddy upgraded as well from the Prolite and he went with the Big Agnes Qcore. He loved it and loved the 4" padding under him. We both used the pads on below freezing nights and lived to tell about it. A fully insulated pad or a closed cell foam underneath may have been better for the temps, but no complaints as far as durability or comfort.

Thanks for all of the great input. I might look for one of the air combo pads to increase comfort and R value. I found a few on Campsaver, REI and CampMor that fits. Now I just need to compare some specs.

Your black vs white comparison of foam vs air is not all that accurate. There are many pads that utilize both and many of the air pads use additional materials to increase the Rvalue.

I have several Thermarest Prolite. They are great pads, but they are sitll only 1+" thick and dont truly provide enough comfort from the ground. Its better than the ground, but you will feel roots or rocks if they are there.

My newest pad I got last year and went with the Neoair XLite. The newer versions have tamed the "crinkle" noise of the aluminized liner. I am really picky about sound and I tested this several times. No problem with the new one. Its been on 10 days of backcountry elk hunting and no complaints at all.

My buddy upgraded as well from the Prolite and he went with the Big Agnes Qcore. He loved it and loved the 4" padding under him. We both used the pads on below freezing nights and lived to tell about it. A fully insulated pad or a closed cell foam underneath may have been better for the temps, but no complaints as far as durability or comfort.

Whats the difference in packed size from the xlite and the prolite? I have the prolite and its a like a log in my pack I want something that's much smaller but the numbers given on the website make it seem like there is no real difference 4x9 for the neoair xlite and 4.1 by 11 for the prolite. Maybe I have an older prolite or something but I think in reality my is 11 by 6 or 7.

Foam is fine. All those things are really intended to do is take the edge off a little when sleeping on the ground. Just help you not feeling the tiny pebbles​ you missed when clearing out the spot where you intend to throw down your sleeping bag. Go light weight and don't blow a bunch of money. That's my opinion anyway.

I have a Klymit Static V insulated and then some other brand that is self inflating. Both are comfortable. The Klymit is not self inflating, weighs less, and takes up less room than my camp cookware. The self inflating is not super heavy. But it takes up a lot more room than the Klymit and you still have to assist it a little to get it where you want it. I used both and it I am gonna leave camp any amount of time the Klymit goes with. I slept like a baby. But I assume you might be meaning the foam rolls you can get cheap? Id probably go with something like the Klymit mainly for space saving. It was pretty darn comfortable though. Just watch what you put it on and try not to poke it to much. haha.

They are intended to reduce heat loss from conduction, and do. Nature is always trying to make warm blooded things the same temperature as nature. We have sleeping pads to minimize this reality, and comfort is a bonus. Like Bambi, I like the inflatable pads in the 1# range, and toss my glassing seat under my hip when things get frigid. I've even emptied my pack and put it underneath the tent in a pinch. BA did not hold up for me. NeoAir and Exped have done well for me over the years.

Beware the listed R values. They are worth more for comparison within a brand than they are between similar products of different brands.

Beware the listed R values. They are worth more for comparison within a brand than they are between similar products of different brands.

This is so true. I see Big Agnes is starting to use a temperature rating like sleeping bags. This is a terrible idea considering R-values is a fairly reliable measurement.

TO the question about the packed size of the Prolite VS the Xlite, your comparison is correct. The two pads are fairly similar in packed size other than weight. That being said, their open size is quite different. The Prolite is only 1.25-1.5" thick. The Xlite is 3" thick.

Put a few feet of duct tape around your water bottle. Get inflatable. Go hunting. Unless will be in parts of TX, AZ or NM where everything sticks you and jabbing things are on the ground. Use foam there.

With a bit of care, air mattresses do just fine in the southwest.

I switched from a closed-cell Thermarest to an air pad a few years back and it has been a HUGE improvement in comfort. I have the Exped UL-7 and really like it. I have slept on it in a floorless shelter and never had an issue popping it.

Now if I'm car camping and weight is not an issue I'll run double pads- closed cell pad on bottom and air pad on top. This combo is nearly as comfortable as sleeping at home for me.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back