Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Aging Antelope Meat

I don't age it intentionally, but it does get aged. This year the critters we shot on Thursday didn't get processed until Monday. The boned out meat rode around in coolers the whole time on ice. If I ever come up with a truck with the room, I'd like to take more coolers and let the quarters age this way...

No. It is not necessary with antelope, or any other wild game. Antelope is really tender, anyway, and does not need aging. I sometimes have deer in my fridge for a few days prior to cutting, but not on purpose and the same with elk in a cooler.

There will be lots of opinions on this, but the quick answer is don't worry about it.

We age all of our meat, especially antelope if it was not resting when shot. Probably get about 5-7 days on spouse's buck since cold weather is moving in. You will lose a bit to the rind that forms, seems to add up more on antelope since they are smaller bodied.

The one time I did not age my antelope it was really tough. I shot it about 9 in the morning and had it quartered and on ice within an hour. When I got home it was cut up and in the freezer by 5pm. Did the same thing with a deer and it was unusually tough also.
So now I always age them at least 4-5 days in the fridge. When I used to have them processed I had them age the animals for a week before cutting them up.
I have read that if you cut and freeze them before rigor has a chance to set in and then relax the meat will be tough and I have found it to be true.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back