Yeti GOBOX Collection

Afternoon at the range

ID_deerslayer

Finally was able to get out of the house and to the range with the new Ruger predator rifle and start breaking in the barrel. Temps were in the 30's today so I was happy to be shooting. I started at 25 yards and was shooting three shots between cleanings and adjusting my turrets between each set of shots before cleaning and running patches through the barrel. The wind was blowing between 5-10 mph but didn't seem to affect my groups to much. I need up shooting just under 30 rounds of 117 grain interlocks and was happy with what the rifle was doing grouping wise. I Was able to get out to 50 yards before calling it a day and am looking forward to my next outing as I continue the break in process and start to really sight in the gun

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 443
Are you shooting reloads? I've go an older "like new" Ruger M77 with the heavy barrel and reload Hornady 117 grain BTSPs with IMR 4350 powder, as they are not only accurate, but are also a great bullet for up to deer size game for both penetration and expansion. I think you'll find that with a little experimenting you'll get one hole groups with that rifle.

My BIL recently got one of the Americans in .30-06. It seems like it is of a higher quality than most other new rifles I've handled in that price range.

I've been tempted by one of those with the Wolf Camo for the last couple weeks on gunbroker. All they've had so far is .308 and .30-06 though, if I found a .25-06 or even .243 with that stock, I would have given in already.

My BIL recently got one of the Americans in .30-06. It seems like it is of a higher quality than most other new rifles I've handled in that price range.

I've been tempted by one of those with the Wolf Camo for the last couple weeks on gunbroker. All they've had so far is .308 and .30-06 though, if I found a .25-06 or even .243 with that stock, I would have given in already.

It's just about impossible to find a better made rifle for the price they want for the American!

Are you shooting reloads? I've go an older "like new" Ruger M77 with the heavy barrel and reload Hornady 117 grain BTSPs with IMR 4350 powder, as they are not only accurate, but are also a great bullet for up to deer size game for both penetration and expansion. I think you'll find that with a little experimenting you'll get one hole groups with that rifle.

I am planning to reload and was thinking of reloading the SST's from hornady in the 117 grain. Once I have the barrel fully broke in I plan to get sub moa groups and if I can get key hole groups I will be thoroughly impressed. I haven't fully decided on a powder yet but will definty keep this thread updated as time allows me to get range time. Apparently it's bad form to put ear muffs on a six week old baby! ;) hoping this weekend will allow such time depending on wind speeds here in GF. I have yet to see many distributors with a .243 in the predator but have seen the .223 and that is another great gun given how affordable reloading and factory ammo costs.

Ruger definitely makes the .243 predator and I will keep my eye for one with our distributor and let you know if one becomes available. Sending some tipped 95 grain nosler a through one of these could be a lot of fun!

I have the Ruger American in .223 and love it. I think the American is one of the best bangs for your buck. Less than $350 can get you a nice shooting long gun. Have been considering either a .270 or 7mm-08 if Indiana opens up deer season to rifle calibers.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back