Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Africa 2007?

Calif. Hunter

It's still early, but it looks like me and 4 friends will be heading to South Africa next year to hunt with JJ Hack. I'm already getting pretty excited about it! Naturally, there's a lot to figure out - how to get there, can I use my airline miles (got to fly first class for that long a flight...), get info on all the procedures for taking the rifles, etc.

The planning is at least half the fun, right?

Lucky dog... I might be going next year too. Not 100% sure but about, 95%...

Good luck getting a first class ticket with miles... Suck it up and fly the cattle car from hell like the rest of us. :D

The whole process is pretty easy as far as rifles are concerned. Nothing to be worried about. From what I've read on JJ posts he's pretty privy to the whole process as well. I don't think you'll have a problem. We weren't there during the peak time, but the whole process only took about 30 min. It took longer to get through passport check than to 'import' the rifles.

I don't know - I am going to have to have some space, as well as getting up to walk around every so often on a 15-hour flight.

What is a good drug/sleeping pill? (I pity the folks trying to sleep around me on that flight....)

How about a shot of bourbon every hour? Just stay up a lot before the flight, then you'll sleep for 15 hours, right? I hope its a blast, don't get sick before you go. What guns you taking?

OHHH dang !!!! That is gonig to be KICK "A !!!!! Keep us in the loop on the planning and ask alot of Questions. I'm stoked for you man !!!!

Tom - I will just take one rifle. JJ says 95% of the shots will be 100 yards or less, and the option of stalking to get closer on the other 5%. Given that, and the size of the game, I will probably take my .358 Win. It is a round that has been underloaded from the factory due to the Winchester model 88 levers and model 100 autos so chambered. If loaded to the pressure level of a .308 Win, it pretty much equals a .35 Whelen. With a 225 gr partition at 2500 fps, it should be good enough for anything I'll be shooting at.

With 5 of us, it pretty much means we will have the hunt to ourselves.

Whatever gets in front of my muzzle.... ;) I hope my eyes are not too much bigger than my checkbook.

Gemsbuck, I hope. Kudu, warthog and impala. A sable may too much $$$.

kudu and gemsbok are some great looking animals. maybe you can trade mr hack your company volvo for sable and eland.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back