Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Advise on Az javelina

RickAz

I am new to this forum and looking for advise as I am not real familiar with hunting here in Arizona where I now live. My youngest son lives in Alaska and we alternate years, him coming here and me going up there. He is planning to come down after the first of the year and I thought a javelina hunt would be fun. I am looking for advise on what units might be good choices, should we put in for the draw or are over the counter tags available. He is planning to use his bow and I will take the muzzle loader so I was looking at HAM season. Any advise is appreciated.

Rick

most all units that offer javelina hunts have a pretty good population of them. find a unit close to where you live so you can scout it a few times without breaking the bank. they are a very easy animal to take, once you find them

Find some fresh sign, then go up high and glass, glass, glass. You can cover more ground with your eyes than you can walking. Look under the trees in the shade. Look for signs of feeding in the shin daggers, don't know if that's the proper name for them but you will know what I'm talking about when you walk through them. They also seem to like hanging out in ocotillo patches along with coues deer. Usually if I spot coues in the ocotillos the javelina are close by. Maybe it's a partnership defense against lions.

I am planning to do some camping trips this fall to scout and get familiar with the area I choose. living in lake havasu Kingman is only 1 hour away and some available units are up there. Just didn't know if they might be more prevalent in the southern part of the state. I can check success rates for these unit when picking. Don't mind heading down toward Yuma, about 2 1/2 hrs, just really don't want to go as far as Tuscon as it is much farther and I would be less likely to make multiple scouting trips.

I am planning to do some camping trips this fall to scout and get familiar with the area I choose. living in lake havasu Kingman is only 1 hour away and some available units are up there. Just didn't know if they might be more prevalent in the southern part of the state. I can check success rates for these unit when picking. Don't mind heading down toward Yuma, about 2 1/2 hrs, just really don't want to go as far as Tuscon as it is much farther and I would be less likely to make multiple scouting trips.

No Javelina in Yuma. I've seen javelina while hunting antelope in Prescott. South of Tucson is where I hunt them.

Thanks for the advise, looks like Prescott or Yuma. PM box is empty, am I doing something wrong?

Hualapai's, and down toward Wikieup, I used to see a ton of them when I worked out there. And if you live in Havasu your surrounded by them.. My folks live down SE of Tucson and they can't hardly keep them out of their yard.

Last edited:
Back