Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Addicted and haven't even tasted it yet. Help

ProcDoc

New to Elk hunting. I'm just trying to get in the door. Never hunted western big game.

I just started putting in for points in many states, but want to look into a do it yourself archery elk hunt for 2020.
Any advice on how to start?
Any suggestions on a state to look into?
Any links to gear lists so I can slowly gather things and start using them to get familiar?
Yes, I know I'm asking for a lot of freebees. It seems inaccessible without knowing someone that's done it and having never done anything other than stand hunts for black bear and whitetails I'm not sure where to start.

Search hunt talk for each one of your questions. You'll be amazed at how much info is here. Also be a fly on the wall and listen to everything. Good luck.

New to Elk hunting. I'm just trying to get in the door. Never hunted western big game.

I just started putting in for points in many states, but want to look into a do it yourself archery elk hunt for 2020.
Any advice on how to start?

Ya, ....go hunting in 2019. ID or CO is waiting

Reactions: LCH
1. Have you watched Randy's videos? Amazon Prime and Youtube

2. Hunt an OTC tag as soon as possible to get familiar with elk.

3. Watch all of Randy's draw videos/listen to his podcasts on the draw for each state. Then pick a state or two and start earning points. You say "many states." which ones?

CO let's you put in a for second choice while earning points if you don't get your first choice. Combined with OTC tags, it's a good choice - but you'll have lots of company.

Randy's videos, Rinella's videos, both their podcasts. CO Parks & Wildlife has an "elk hunting university" series that's actually pretty decent. These threads are great for gear. There is lots of stuff being peddled that you don't need, IMHO, so read up before dropping serious money. And don't be shy about shooting cows when you're starting out. You simply have better odds of getting a cow than you a bull in most areas. I've been elk hunting since '95 and probably have 2 cows for every bulll I've killed. Their steaks are just as good.

I agree with going in 2019 if at all possible. I come from Ohio every year to hunt elk and mule deer, started doing it eight years ago deer hunting and elk hunting five years ago. I hunt otc tags and hunt by myself and it took until my forth year to make it happen on an elk because of the huge learning curve. Now that I’m starting to get a good handle on it I’ve been successful the last two years. It’s rewarding as it gets to pick a spot on the map and go back until you make it happen.
I wouldn’t wait for draw units. My experience with otc tags is that if you can find an area where you can consistently find elk you will have more luck in the long run because you can return year after year and really learn the area. You might not be hunting 400” bulls but elk are elk especially for us tree stand whitetail guys.
I’ve consistently found 320” bulls and a few bigger here and there the last few years. Just don’t get hung up on hunting tactics you use at home on whitetails, if you hunt them like deer you’ll never get close enough. Be aggressive and think fast. If you can find an area with a good ratio of cover and open ground for feeding I’ve found spot and stalk to be very effective once you learn how to navigate the area and learn the elks patterns and know where they spend their time. I’m going to do some calling this year because I feel like I’ve got a good enough understanding on elk that I can do it effectively but I don’t recommend doing anymore calling than you absolutely have to your first year or two. I didn’t blow a call the first couple years, I just don’t think there is much point in trying to talk to an animal you know nothing about. With limited time on a trip I think your time is better spent trying to intersect and ambush them rather than trial and error calling.
Good luck! Once you hunt elk you’ll never want to sit in a whitetail tree stand again!

I moved out west a few months back, and did a small rifle elk hunting trip last year. Didn't know much besides from what I saw from Randy's videos and various podcasts. One that that I was able to go to when I moved out here was this Elkshape camp in Spokane Valley, WA. There is another one this June. Yeah, it does cost money, and then have to fly here, but for not knowing much, there is great information presented, and will have hands on learning with bugling, fitness, gear, archery, etc. If you can swing it, definitely check it out. Or the Elkshape podcast as well.

I go to Idaho in otc archery units like others have said lots of good info on here and Randy has some great vids
go asap to get over the learning curve

The best thing you can do is elk hunt as much as you can. You can definitely learn a ton watching videos and doing research, but at the end of the day you're not going to have it all figured out on your first hunt. Just go hunting, be mentally prepared that it's not going to be easy, be aggressive, make some mistakes, learn from them, maybe have some success, and then do it all over again! Well at that point I guess you'll have to do it all over again because you'll have acquired an unquenchable addiction. Good luck!

Watch Randy and Hushin' they are the real deal.
No B.S. they tell the truth no matter how much it hurts...
Most of my hunts are me wandering around the Az. desert
with my bow for no apparent reason.Sometimes I harvest an animal, and
it makes it all worth while.Cerebral Stalker is correct,your going to
make many mistakes before you get some things right.
Sometimes it's a painfull learning curve.Good Luck,and enjoy. 😎

Also check out the elk101.com program. I've heard there is a lot of good info there. It's Corey Jacobson's website

As mentioned several times already Randy Newberg's videos, Elk101.com, the Elk university has a ton of information. Read back through these forums it's amazing how much information is in here! Elk Talk podcast, Backcountry Rookies podcast and Hunt Backcountry podcasts are all phenomenal. This year will be my first year hunting out west although I have killed a bull before, but these are some of the best resources I've found. Remember to keep it simple, dont get too caught up in the details, the first thing you need to figure out is how to find elk only after that do you need to worry about figuring out how to kill them. Study elk and what they need day to day. I'd also recommend picking 2 or 3 places you are interested in hunting and take a trip to go put boots on the ground. Oh and get yourself in shape! Elk like some rough country!

1. Have you watched Randy's videos? Amazon Prime and Youtube

2. Hunt an OTC tag as soon as possible to get familiar with elk.

3. Watch all of Randy's draw videos/listen to his podcasts on the draw for each state. Then pick a state or two and start earning points. You say "many states." which ones?

CO let's you put in a for second choice while earning points if you don't get your first choice. Combined with OTC tags, it's a good choice - but you'll have lots of company.

I put in for CO, AZ, NV, MT, UT, WY.

Thanks for the advice. I've been binging on all Randy's videos for the last month or so.

I agree with going in 2019 if at all possible. I come from Ohio every year to hunt elk and mule deer, started doing it eight years ago deer hunting and elk hunting five years ago. I hunt otc tags and hunt by myself and it took until my forth year to make it happen on an elk because of the huge learning curve. Now that I’m starting to get a good handle on it I’ve been successful the last two years. It’s rewarding as it gets to pick a spot on the map and go back until you make it happen.
I wouldn’t wait for draw units. My experience with otc tags is that if you can find an area where you can consistently find elk you will have more luck in the long run because you can return year after year and really learn the area. You might not be hunting 400” bulls but elk are elk especially for us tree stand whitetail guys.
I’ve consistently found 320” bulls and a few bigger here and there the last few years. Just don’t get hung up on hunting tactics you use at home on whitetails, if you hunt them like deer you’ll never get close enough. Be aggressive and think fast. If you can find an area with a good ratio of cover and open ground for feeding I’ve found spot and stalk to be very effective once you learn how to navigate the area and learn the elks patterns and know where they spend their time. I’m going to do some calling this year because I feel like I’ve got a good enough understanding on elk that I can do it effectively but I don’t recommend doing anymore calling than you absolutely have to your first year or two. I didn’t blow a call the first couple years, I just don’t think there is much point in trying to talk to an animal you know nothing about. With limited time on a trip I think your time is better spent trying to intersect and ambush them rather than trial and error calling.
Good luck! Once you hunt elk you’ll never want to sit in a whitetail tree stand again!

This is awesome. Thank you. Super encouraging as many are suggesting to just get out there and do it. This Fall I just can't swing. I've got a national board exam and just started a job that I can't take too much time off. Fall 2020 I WILL BE OUT THERE! Just have to decide a state and unit.

Go on an antelope hunt. Take two days off along with a weekend and you could get it done.
As far as elk, get in awesome shape.

Back