Yeti GOBOX Collection

Acclaimed filmmakers show hunting as "elegant" in Searching For West

I got bored when he got to the rifle range and shut er down.

I kept thinking it was Dane Cooks voice the whole time too. I was waiting for something funny :(

Although I watched the entire video and enjoyed the excellent craft of producing it, It was, IMO, a 23 minute brand expose' portrayed as a metaphysical narrative.

Last edited:
I think their goal was to show something different than what we see on TV, and they did that. Much higher production quality and I like how they didn't portray hunting as "I'll sacrifice EVERYTHING to kill an animal and thats all that matters." They showed there are more important things in life, higher priorities. I liked it and hope to see more. As they said its really a short film, not a hunting show. Definitely was worth going to see in the theatre.

Yep. I liked it quite a bit. The way it was promoted I thought it would have more of the process of western hunting. Would love to see it in a theatre. Probably not happening where I live however...

When did a hunter become considered an athlete?

I didn't see the film, not sure if I need to after reading all of this.

Pretty much agree with everyone here. I had higher hopes based on the trailer, although all of the descriptions that went with the film before it came out made me wonder just what it was going to be about.

I thought the production was good...I got a little tired of all the slow motion shots. I usually think they're cool, but I started thinking is this going to be the whole film?

I was hoping that the film would show hunting, particularly western hunting, in a more unique way. There's a lot of (for lack of a better word) romanticism for me in so many more aspects of hunting than just killing an animal, and I was hopeful this film would portray those in a way that would give, say, a non-hunter a feel for what this whole experience is about in a way we haven't seen before. I think that was touched on (some of the shots of Mark walking in for example, or pulling up to the trailhead, etc), but it could have been sooo much more.

I guess that's not what this film was trying to do, but man, it seems like someone could do it. If only I knew how to make videos that LOOKED like that...

Yep. I liked it quite a bit. The way it was promoted I thought it would have more of the process of western hunting. Would love to see it in a theatre. Probably not happening where I live however...

+1.

I liked it.

It was different and not sure I grasped the full meaning but as a Dad sometimes you have to put family priorities over personal priorities.

As someone who has experienced it first-hand by chasing a volleyball player from one end of the state to the other during hunting season, sometimes you have to do what is right and for me, sacrificing a few weekends sitting in a gym watching my daughter play is more important to her (and me) then hunting every weekend.

Kids grow up so fast, I don't want to be wishing I spent more time with them one day.

Soon enough, I'll be an empty-nester and have all the time I need.

It was different for sure, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it.

To each his own, I guess.

It was really different! With two tours overseas the family thing was lost on me until I looked at from the perspective of leaving your family to do what you love to do rather then what you have to do. In other words, what hit Seacat towards the end is that he was out having fun, fulfilling obligations yes, but doing something he loves rather then being where he was really needed. That's why he'd decided to call it quits for the season I guess.

Eh, all in all it was cool and made me wanting more. I'm really curious about the original intent of this and how the whole thing went down when he decided to go back home to be with his family.

I got bored when he got to the rifle range and shut er down.

I kept thinking it was Dane Cooks voice the whole time too. I was waiting for something funny :(

I went ahead and watched it all the way thru to give it a fair shot. It's not what I expected. It is very well put together and for what it symbolizes it was good. I was expecting an epic hunt film not a film about a guys feelings.

Well..., I watched the trailer when it came out and read all the reviews on here before I watched the film.

I guess my expectations must have been diminished by your reviews because I was expecting a somewhat lame, sappy, commercial production. I must say that after watching it, I think you guys are a hard audience to please. I thought it was great!

Granted, it is not a typical hook and bullet production. It's about the tension a father feels between what drives him as a hunter and the effort that takes and the sacrifice it requires from his wife and children and what he misses at home when he is in the field.
I guess some can't relate and may never be able to, but for me the film articulated that tension and a proper response on Mark's part very well.
As someone who has done quite a bit of outdoor videography, I can appreciate the talent and effort behind this production. Were some of the shots a bit over the top and unrealistic? Sure, but it's art and art is intended to provoke emotion, not just document events.
I watched the video with my two young sons sitting on my lap and my daughter sitting beside me and realized that like Mark, I've made conscious choices between what I want to do as a hunter and what I need and want to do as a father. My personal hunting has suffered in terms of trophy quality and number of days in the field, but I'm finding I'm more successful at finding what I've been hunting all along.
As I sacrifice my wants, for my families needs, I gain more perspective of what my father went through to successfully find that balance when I was a child. He did a great job of it. I only hope I can do as well for my family.
Well done with the film and the family Mark! You will find that postponing your personal goals as a hunter will reward you with far more than stuffed heads hung on the wall.

I thought it was awesome.
Great to see such a packed house at the showing as well. I'm happy for Mark. A typical hunting flick was the last thing they wanted.

Seacat is a much liked rock star in the hunt product industry, and rightly so I might add. A lesser regarded spokesman, IMO, couldn't pull this off. Reading the positive reviewers lends me to believe the film attained it's goal of fortifying Mark's considerable marketing clout.

I enjoyed it. Good stuff and a great guy. I went to the premier , which was pretty cool. Took my boy. Typing from my phone at 10,200 waiting for sun to drop for better glassing. :D

It was what I expected, but I knew a little about why they were doing it that way....Mark did kill some criiters lastyear and could have used them for it, but that is not the point..never has been with him...look at the pictures that Bugle and Sitka have used of him...the Mystery Ranch pics..he is not a grin and grip picture guy...his vidoes are not going to be any different...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back