Accessing BLM in CO on roads that run through private ground

mattfly77

I'm researching this right now online with the CO wildlife division, but I thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone on here knew for sure....may be a dumb question, I don't know!

I'm hunting in unit 42 and want to access a particular part of BLM. The roads I'm looking at on OnxMaps go through private parcels of land as well as BLM. Can you legally drive down those roads without permission from the landowner in order to access the BLM? As long as you don't get on their land off the road? Hope this is clear.

That's what I figured. But I can't find any info on the road inside of Onxmaps. I can see if its a county or state, but when it becomes a dashed line, it doesn't say what type of road or what vehicles can drive on it.

Last edited:
just like "Lonesome_God_Outdoors" stated: It Depends... Look at this picture. I was able to drive several miles on a County Road in between private and BLM. Then I arrived to a gate for a private ranch. In order to hunt the BLM area, I parked my truck and walked around the gate staying in BLM grounds.
GMU31_Gate.jpg

V/R,
ColoradoHunter719

It would be good to print up and have with you in your vehicle the definitive answer you get from County GIS or whatever. I have tangled with landowners in the past who do everything they can to give the impression that there is no public access up the road through their property. Most of those incidences were in CO GMU 31, the graphic above illustrates the typical issue. Good luck!

It would be good to print up and have with you in your vehicle the definitive answer you get from County GIS or whatever. I have tangled with landowners in the past who do everything they can to give the impression that there is no public access up the road through their property. Most of those incidences were in CO GMU 31, the graphic above illustrates the typical issue. Good luck!

Good to know. I am heading up to 31 this year, definitely getting a little anxious to deal with the road situations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alaska2Montana
Back