Access State Land via River

So if I am archery hunting waterfowl (which is a legal means of take) while wading / walking within the high water marks.... I am good to go... right? No need to haul a fishing rod if I am already archery hunting from what I can see.

You are legal to pack out a deer that was killed on public land between the ordinary high-water marks of the stream while doing a legal activity. So yeah if you walk up to a spot to hunt ducks, with your bow, then also take a deer, that would be legal. You better be carrying duck calls, flu flu arrows and judo points.

Serious question: Could you walk up stream "towing" your rifle in an inflatable canoe or hard plastic canoe that uses very little water clearance? Then if you get something, put the game animal in the same inflatable and haul it down stream? It takes very little water for most inflatables or hard plastic canoes to get too or from an area, even with some weight in them. Actually, the hard plastic canoes would be able to go over small obstructions or around them even with weight on them (basically a sled).

Serious question: Could you walk up stream "towing" your rifle in an inflatable canoe or hard plastic canoe that uses very little water clearance? Then if you get something, put the game animal in the same inflatable and haul it down stream? It takes very little water for most inflatables or hard plastic canoes to get too or from an area, even with some weight in them. Actually, the hard plastic canoes would be able to go over small obstructions or around them even with weight on them (basically a sled).

Packrafting would be a legal use under the law... just use good judgement, if it doesn't pass the smell test then don't do it.

NO
1572457217503.png

Yes
1572457244041.png

Generally speaking...lots of variation depending on substrate width, amount of deadfall etc.
<75 CFS no way
75-300cfs maybe depends on the river and your craft
>300 CFS likely good to go

Essentially if you are using the Montana Stream Access Law to hike up a small stream to access public land above private property for "big game hunting", then no.

Even if you have a creative and persuasive lawyer who can make the case that you are "boating" and enjoying a water related recreational activity, you are still employing a deception and a ruse which likely will motivate the property owner to litigate and potentially may prove detrimental to the great stream access law we enjoy. There are so many places you can hunt big game without trying to be a wannabee lawyer and a smart a$$ ... why do it?

Essentially if you are using the Montana Stream Access Law to hike up a small stream to access public land above private property for "big game hunting", then no.

Even if you have a creative and persuasive lawyer who can make the case that you are "boating" and enjoying a water related recreational activity, you are still employing a deception and a ruse which likely will motivate the property owner to litigate and potentially may prove detrimental to the great stream access law we enjoy. There are so many places you can hunt big game without trying to be a wannabee lawyer and a smart a$$ ... why do it?
Is transportation a viable use of water ways in Montana? If so, I have used the boat/ canoe for a viable use (towing, transportation) of a waterway it seems. It's not a ruse at all...and not deception. I am transporting goods across a waterway...be they a firearm, deer or myself. BTW- What the hell is a landowner going to do...take away access that I already don't have? Try to change a law that will likely make everyone except the landowner mad which would cause even greater angst among the thousands of people who use stream access currently AGAINST the landowner? You see it as landowners having the upperhand in this...I see it as voters having the upperhand...

Is transportation a viable use of water ways in Montana? If so, I have used the boat/ canoe for a viable use (towing, transportation) of a waterway it seems. It's not a ruse at all...and not deception. I am transporting goods across a waterway...be they a firearm, deer or myself. BTW- What the hell is a landowner going to do...take away access that I already don't have? Try to change a law that will likely make everyone except the landowner mad which would cause even greater angst among the thousands of people who use stream access currently AGAINST the landowner? You see it as landowners having the upperhand in this...I see it as voters having the upperhand...

Might wanna do some reading... people with money always have the upper hand in this country.

Do a google search on New Mexico + Stream access

If it's not a ruse than your fine, @Straight Arrow and I are saying the exact same thing, it's fine if you are abiding by the spirit of the law it's not if you are trying to pull a fast one. Using a boat to get in and out of public land via rivers is totally fine and wildly done all over the state... now walking up a dry river bed with waterwings on and a rifle on your back claiming you were just out to float the river makes you an a-hole.

You know, we are all but a bunch of people yapping on an internet forum,

For a question of this level, it is very simple... As this is listed in the Montana subforum;

Contact your regional FWP office and ask.

I did and specifically stated the exact situation. For the purpose to pass from public land, under the high water mark through private land to transit to public for the purpose to hunt the public land and transport game the same route back below the high water mark.

I was advised yes. So long as I was not hunting on the private property and staying below the high water mark.

Might wanna do some reading... people with money always have the upper hand in this country.

Do a google search on New Mexico + Stream access

If it's not a ruse than your fine, @Straight Arrow and I are saying the exact same thing, it's fine if you are abiding by the spirit of the law it's not if you are trying to pull a fast one. Using a boat to get in and out of public land via rivers is totally fine and wildly done all over the state... now walking up a dry river bed with waterwings on and a rifle on your back claiming you were just out to float the river makes you an a-hole.
The pictures you posted are fairly cut and dry but there are many streams that are fairly in between these pictures. Dry stream beds...no. However, many streams can be accessed via a hard shell canoe (my kids have 2 of them) with 120 lbs of meat on top as well as a rifle. It may scrape bottom a couple of times but float the largest portion of the time. The question then becomes...is TRANSPORT a viable use of waterways in Montana via the stream access law. Sounds like the New Mexico Wildlife Federation may be trying to roll back a Game and Fish rule using a 1945 stream access law. Right now, they don't have the power of numbers...but nothing is being taken away, they are trying to gain something. The other way around creates much more displeasure from the normal users. As MT already has a legal precedent from the MT Supreme Court and also legislative action...reversing the decision would create much more of an uproar....money talks but a ton of recreationists and those who make money off of those recreationists speak just as loudly...and they vote as well. I get frustrated by those who always say...it could be worse, we could get more public taken away. They may be correct, but talk about a defeatist attitude...it's like playing a prevent defense the entire game. You'll lose, but not by as much as you could have lost. Fact is, you lose either way. How about playing to win, push the boundaries the other way and make them start playing prevent defense? (BTW- this isn't anything personal against you or straight arrow but it seems to me that playing to not lose has lost the public a ton of access and a ton of rights/ privileges.) You don't see the NRA playing to not lose...they push the envelope everyday to gain more gun ownership rights...causing everyone else to play defense.

The pictures you posted are fairly cut and dry but there are many streams that are fairly in between these pictures. Dry stream beds...no. However, many streams can be accessed via a hard shell canoe (my kids have 2 of them) with 120 lbs of meat on top as well as a rifle. It may scrape bottom a couple of times but float the largest portion of the time. The question then becomes...is TRANSPORT a viable use of waterways in Montana via the stream access law. Sounds like the New Mexico Wildlife Federation may be trying to roll back a Game and Fish rule using a 1945 stream access law. Right now, they don't have the power of numbers...but nothing is being taken away, they are trying to gain something. The other way around creates much more displeasure from the normal users. As MT already has a legal precedent from the MT Supreme Court and also legislative action...reversing the decision would create much more of an uproar....money talks but a ton of recreationists and those who make money off of those recreationists speak just as loudly...and they vote as well. I get frustrated by those who always say...it could be worse, we could get more public taken away. They may be correct, but talk about a defeatist attitude...it's like playing a prevent defense the entire game. You'll lose, but not by as much as you could have lost. Fact is, you lose either way. How about playing to win, push the boundaries the other way and make them start playing prevent defense? (BTW- this isn't anything personal against you or straight arrow but it seems to me that playing to not lose has lost the public a ton of access and a ton of rights/ privileges.) You don't see the NRA playing to not lose...they push the envelope everyday to gain more gun ownership rights...causing everyone else to play defense.

NRA is probably a bad example of an effective advocacy organisation.

Montana is the gold standard of stream access, there is nowhere to go but down. I mean I guess there is communism...

The truth is there are attacks on the stream access laws, and there are other things that could be done that could restrict access. For instance perhaps the place you are accessing that stream is a boat launch on a piece of state land, that boat launch could be shut down. Maybe that piece of state land is accessed by a private road, that because you are being a jerk and violating the intent of the law gets shut down closing miles and miles for river for boating of any kind. Maybe the landowner gets the MFWP to shut down all hunting on the piece of public land your were hunting because of "public safety"... loads of ways it can go south or just turn into a debacle.

I'm simply advocating adhering to the law and not trying to "get one over" on a landowner. I mean if you really really want to hunt that spot just get a chopper ride in... or your know knock on some doors?

I'm simply advocating adhering to the law and not trying to "get one over" on a landowner. I mean if you really really want to hunt that spot just get a chopper ride in... or your know knock on some doors?
Exactly! It seems we hunters are prone to shoot ourselves in the foot year after year by gaming the system and doing for our own personal benefit what we judge to be legal ... rather than striving to do what's right and portrays hunters as stand-up citizens. Go ahead and drag that hard shell canoe up the stream, hunt, and drag your game back down in spite of the landowner glaring at you ... but when he says, "Hell no!" to Block Management, as many have due to hunter questionable behavior, don't blame those noble icons of public access who fought so hard to embed the Stream Access Law into the books for the purpose of recreational fishing and other actual water recreation between high water marks ... not up the creek to access big game!

Sounds like a lose lose deal to me. "Navigable waters" are the only way to access state land, I am pretty sure that walking a pack-raft up the stream to access some honey hole is just gonna bite you right in the ass and make a scene to limitate stream access for the future. Situations like these can be made an example IMO.

You'd sure hate to be walking your "dream bull or buck" back down stream only to be met by FWP, the local sheriff and landowner waiting to just pop you one and take your critter before you can even share him. I doubt your going to these measures for "meat" hunting......

Had this happen to me and yeah it sucks to let a good spot go, but in the end it's just not worth the headache in life. Especially with everyone packing a camera these days.

Exactly! It seems we hunters are prone to shoot ourselves in the foot year after year by gaming the system and doing for our own personal benefit what we judge to be legal ... rather than striving to do what's right and portrays hunters as stand-up citizens. Go ahead and drag that hard shell canoe up the stream, hunt, and drag your game back down in spite of the landowner glaring at you ... but when he says, "Hell no!" to Block Management, as many have due to hunter questionable behavior, don't blame those noble icons of public access who fought so hard to embed the Stream Access Law into the books for the purpose of recreational fishing and other actual water recreation between high water marks ... not up the creek to access big game!
If it were block management...the stream access wouldn't be an issue. Do either of you think when the stream access law was created that land owners fell over themselves to say yes? Do you think the people who fought for stream access said...well, the landowners don't like it...may as well give up? Hell no. They fought and scratched to get it, then recreationists allowed (and by allowed gave up pushing for more) the state legislature to redefine and create new statute "defining" stream access. This happens to roads, corner crossing, stream access, etc. Be happy with what you got because you might lose it. I'm frustrated and tired of people "being happy cause it could get worse". Fact is...it is worse. Every time someone is not admitted on public land for some reason...it is worse. Then people who use the entire scope of the law to gain access become assholes. Guess what, they aren't! They want to broaden the rights of the PUBLIC to gain more for the PUBLIC. Private landowners aren't shutting down access because of "bad hunters"...they are selling leases for MONEY. They pull out of BMAs not because of bad hunters, it's because they can make more money using their land in other ways or they aren't getting as much as they thought they would. I can't do anything about private...and I don't want to (as I'm not communist) but I sure as hell don't fear losing what I don't currently have. I also don't fear losing what I do have because I may make Joe Private Landowner mad because private landowners aren't going to quit attacking stream access whether I use the full scope of the law or don't use the law at all. As you have stated, every year there is a push to restrict stream access. Do you think that if everyone followed even the most stringent version of the law that the same groups won't be pushing legislation and trying to get stream access stopped? You are foolish to think so. The same groups, unless there is NO stream access, will fight against stream access every year (no matter how you use or don't use the law). In my opinion, shooting ourselves in the foot is not using the law to its fullest extent thereby giving up rights without even a fight.

I guess if it is that good of a spot you better "walk up the shit creek without a paddle".........

In my opinion, shooting ourselves in the foot is not using the law to its fullest extent thereby giving up rights without even a fight.

"How fast can I drive on the highway?"

"The speed limit is 75"

"So I can go 79 before I get pulled over because cops don't give tickets for anything under five over."

"The speed limit is 75, you can go 75"

"But like real talk I can go 79, and going 75 just isn't exercising my full rights to burn rubber"

"Nope still 75"

"Ok so what if..."

"75"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are not using the full scope of the law, you asking to violate the law. No where does "a bunch of guys on the internet said..." hold up in court. Knowing this the respondents of this thread are communicating how the language of this law has been interpreted by judges and how it's enforced by game wardens. If you personally want to die on this hill with a warden, that is certainly your prerogative, but it's not what the law says or what has been deemed legal Our goal is to keep you out of trouble, not help you identify ways to skirt it. We telling you specifically how, where, and when the law it applies.

This thread is not, how do you feel about the stream access law in MT and what do you think would make it better.

Similar debates have raged on a number of topics on a number of threads. I personally hate the Wyoming Wilderness Guide Rule, but I acknowledge that the rule exists and will defend Wyoming's right to make that rule.

Do you think the people who fought for stream access said...well, the landowners don't like it...may as well give up? Hell no. They fought and scratched to get it, then recreationists allowed (and by allowed gave up pushing for more) the state legislature to redefine and create new statute "defining" stream access.
No, you are correct and I agree. The big difference is that their solution to this issue of seeming ambiguity concerning stream access to public land for big game hunting and retrieval between high water marks is that they would analyze the issue, draft legislation, and find someone to carry it to clarify and codify the right to access and retrieve big game. They likely wouldn't just charge up the crick with their kids' hard shell canoe to "push" the issue with questionable hunter behavior.

"How fast can I drive on the highway?"

"The speed limit is 75"

"So I can go 79 before I get pulled over because cops don't give tickets for anything under five over."

"The speed limit is 75, you can go 75"

"But like real talk I can go 79, and going 75 just isn't exercising my full rights to burn rubber"

"Nope still 75"

"Ok so what if..."

"75"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are not using the full scope of the law, you asking to violate the law. No where does "a bunch of guys on the internet said..." hold up in court. Knowing this the respondents of this thread are communicating how the language of this law has been interpreted by judges and how it's enforced by game wardens. If you personally want to die on this hill with a warden, that is certainly your prerogative, but it's not what the law says or what has been deemed legal Our goal is to keep you out of trouble, not help you identify ways to skirt it. We telling you specifically how, where, and when the law it applies.

This thread is not, how do you feel about the stream access law in MT and what do you think would make it better.

Similar debates have raged on a number of topics on a number of threads. I personally hate the Wyoming Wilderness Guide Rule, but I acknowledge that the rule exists and will defend Wyoming's right to make that rule.
I agree...but none of are lawyers (to the best of my knowledge) and skirting the law is still staying within the law. Speed limit is a bad example (it's cut and dry...maximum speed is 75). "Water recreation" is fairly vague and as others have posted...fish your way up and back. Is that not skirting the law? I don't know, it seems completely legal so to me it's using the full extent of the law. Also, using a stream solely for access goes against state statute but does the state statute go against the MT Supreme Court ruling? The state made the rule after the ruling in order to "define" the terms in the ruling. Fact is, just like corner crossing, you have to break the rule in order for the courts to make a ruling. Personally, I don't hunt, fish or recreate anywhere this would be an issue...nor would I have to use corner crossing. However, fully using the extent of the law that hasn't been fully defined seems justified. When the speed limit was reasonable and prudent...people pushed the envelope doing 90 and were able to get away with it...while others defined it as 55...tell me who was right and who was wrong in that instance?

There are several lawyers on the forum that provide insight from time to time, I am not.

I think the law is pretty clear. You can't use the stream access law for Big game hunting, you can only use it for recreational use which includes waterfowl hunting and other water-related pleasure activities. It also doesn't apply to dry stream beds. The law certainly allows one to use a drift boat to float down a river, access a piece of state land, hunt deer, and float out.

The wiggle room is protecting the right to use a pack raft and hike up the river, the argument is that a pack raft can't be paddled upstream so hiking along the bank is a "related unavoidable or incidental uses". So hiking a pack raft up a stream and then using it to take out an animal, assuming there is no legal access above your put in, is probably legal and if you can get the animal out in one load is probably legal, but may get you into hot water.

It's pretty cut and dry, it's illegal to drag a boat up a almost dry stream that you couldn't float, that you have no intention of floating, in order to kill an animal. Your intention is to walk both ways, you are not intending to float in a small craft. There is nothing in the law that protects anything you are talking about doing. You would be breaking the law even if you did this activity without a gun or bow and were not hunting, the activity itself is not legal. Walking

Again, what you are advocating is that someone break the law and be a test case which may or may not go to the state supreme court and may or may not be deeded legal. What we are trying to explain are the legal uses of the stream access law, per the statue and are enforced by LEOs in the state.

At the end of the day, @Sytes and I have called wardens about this issue, on another thread I actually posted an transcript of a voicemail I got from a Warden explaining what was legal, so we are in effect just trying to communicate what we have found to be how these rules are enforced.

If you truly have a bone to pick you and want to debate the law you are more than welcome to walk into a MFWP office I'm sure they will be more than happy to set you straight.

I'm not going to advocated to anyone to do something that I know to be illegal.

1572532021383.png

1572532033093.png
1572532038701.png

1572532223012.png
1572532196046.png

85-1-111. Public ways. Navigable waters and all streams of sufficient capacity to transport the products of the country are public ways for the purposes of navigation and such transportation. This section shall not be construed so as to affect or impair, in any manner, any rights acquired prior to July 1, 1901, by any person, association of persons, or corporation. The right of any person, association of persons, or corporation to take and use any water, as now provided by law, from any stream or streams for the purpose of irrigation or any beneficial or industrial pursuit shall not be abridged.

If the stream is navigable- it is open to transport goods, including furs and critters harvested on public lands.

This thread popped into my mind while having a roadside chat with a game warden here in Montana a couple weeks ago. I asked him "Would it be legal for me to hike up the side of a river going through private land, but always staying below the high-water mark, to access public land to hunt for deer or elk?" His response was that as long as I started on public or private that I had permission to be on, and stayed within the public stream access while traversing the private, I was good to go. I asked a few follow up questions, but as far as he was concerned it would be perfectly legal and he would not write a ticket for it.

On the other hand, I couldn't get a straight answer on corner crossing.:rolleyes:

Back