A tough spot

hunt1up

Here's the deal: I have been working on getting an elk trip lined up. It'll be OTC, likely bow. I've been in the high elevations before and have done some hard hiking. That being said, I would need do some serious training to get myself ready for next year.

Now, I have this friend who is dead set on elk hunting too. He is a great guy and a good friend. But, he is pretty new to hunting in general and is a VERY naive. He smokes about a pack a day and is probably 20-30 pounds overweight. He recently explained to me that he shouldn't have a problem if he just smokes at the end of the day, after the hunt. He'll justify things in his mind and that is just the way it is. He fully expects that we can head out west and he will come back with an elk. I've told him many times, that if 3 of us go, OTC bow, on our first trip, there is a very good chance that tags won't be filled. He has no idea the amount of gear he will need to purchase or the prep that needs to be done.

I'm afraid to take him with me if I go next year. He would be offended for sure. But, I don't want to spend my hard earned money, time, and prep only to have it wasted by someone that can't hack it.

Anyone else ever dealt with something like this? :confused:

Yep, and you have every reason to be concerned. Don't mince words with him...tell him yoiu have serious reservations about his health and stealth.

I haven't had to do it, but I'd imagine someone like that could ruin a hunting trip pretty quick (even if he is a buddy and a nice guy).

The truth is, he will find out the first day he was not meant for this style hunting. We went to Colorado with a group of 8 guys from South Texas and a father & son were heavy to be nice. They came with he expectation of easy hunting, just like Texas...sit & wait. After the first day when I got back in camp they were complaining that they were not told there would not be any blinds. They never made it more than a 1/2 mile from camp and never saw any animals. At least they were good cooks & the rest of us came to camp after a hard day of hunting to a good hot meal. Be honest with your friend & tell him you will not let him slow you down or miss a day of hunting due to his lack of conditioning. If he truly understands this, then it's on him if he has a miserable time. Good luck and God Speed. BTW, nothing can prepare you for the first time you have to pack an animal out of the woods. I thought my legs were going to explode.

Just do it! If he is your good buddy/dear friend, take a friend hunting and do it! See what happens. He can always manage sleeping under the truck and staying at the trail head if he cannot hang. His loss. You may be surprised - or he may surprise ya?! Regardless, make the trip, make some memories!

Just do it! If he is your good buddy/dear friend, take a friend hunting and do it! See what happens. He can always manage sleeping under the truck and staying at the trail head if he cannot hang. His loss. You may be surprised - or he may surprise ya?! Regardless, make the trip, make some memories!

Perhaps that's the best route.

And make him pitch in for gas. That alone should be worth the price of admission.

Well now, predicament yes but not a friend-ship breaker! Since he is new at the game all you need to help him appreciate is the physical demands that are put on us elk hunters. If you are exclusively treestand or ground blind hunting then the demands are little, the most physical exertion will be getting your elk out! So going on just that one assumption let him know what type of training is needed to accomplish that task. To take it a step further which is absolutely needed, outline a workout program for him to get his mindset & body in shape that will fit your bill.

Do all this previous & not concern yourself with what gear he'll need! If he has a true desire he will be motivated in any direction to accomplish his dream. Start with the workout program & I'd be surprised if it went further than that! (grin) If you plan on running & gunning elk then he'll have to be able to put in 7-12 miles a day for 7-8 straight days, this includes packing an elk or 2 out with no breaks in taking a day off, he must be fit enough to pull his load! Be serious with him & explain this so he realizes the seriousness of elk hunting, this is not just a camping trip!

He will need to gain endurance & build his core, legs & lungs! If he peters out in a week or two you'll know where his heart is & he will be the one stepping back instead of you telling him he can't do it! Hopefully his desire is strong & he will go through with it but the cigs gotta go! (grin)

ElkNut1

Well now, predicament yes but not a friend-ship breaker! Since he is new at the game all you need to help him appreciate is the physical demands that are put on us elk hunters. If you are exclusively treestand or ground blind hunting then the demands are little, the most physical exertion will be getting your elk out! So going on just that one assumption let him know what type of training is needed to accomplish that task. To take it a step further which is absolutely needed, outline a workout program for him to get his mindset & body in shape that will fit your bill.

Do all this previous & not concern yourself with what gear he'll need! If he has a true desire he will be motivated in any direction to accomplish his dream. Start with the workout program & I'd be surprised if it went further than that! (grin) If you plan on running & gunning elk then he'll have to be able to put in 7-12 miles a day for 7-8 straight days, this includes packing an elk or 2 out with no breaks in taking a day off, he must be fit enough to pull his load! Be serious with him & explain this so he realizes the seriousness of elk hunting, this is not just a camping trip!

He will need to gain endurance & build his core, legs & lungs! If he peters out in a week or two you'll know where his heart is & he will be the one stepping back instead of you telling him he can't do it! Hopefully his desire is strong & he will go through with it but the cigs gotta go! (grin)

ElkNut1

Good thoughts there. Thanks for the insight. The way he talks, he very much considers it more of a camping trip. I am considering taking the scenic route from Wyoming this fall, after our antelope hunt. That way I can get into Colorado, check out a unit or two, and get him into the mountains, since he will going to WY with me.

Another idea is to have him over, and start putting together ALL that gear. Lay out the 2012 plan, and lay out you gear, his gear, the gear. It might be an eye opener? (Our annual DIY hunt fills my 3/4 ton truck with topper to the rim!) This might be a polite way to tell your buddy to lose 30 pounds and quit smokin'

it just depends on where and how you hunt. pack a day smoker can literally 'hack it' :rolleyes: on some hunts. Lots of elk in places other than nosebleed country. If you are camping at the truck instead of backpacking way in, there is no reason he cannot come along and hunt by himself each day as far in as he cares to go. Just be clear about having zero intention of hunting together since this is your hunt and you look forward to an individual challenge but are happy to enjoy/share a camp together.

Show him the success stats (less than 20% most archery areas of Colo) and explain that the newbies are the ones who drag those stats way, way , down. At least you will have been clear that you are hopeful but realistic in expectation that the 1st year, especially, may be a lot of learning followed by a trip home without an elk.

What gear do you (and partner) need that you do not already have for your other hunts?

I really like the suggestion to take him on a nice tough hike. When he folds up tell him that being in shape enough to not fold up, and do it multiple days in a row is the admission fee.

However, it is possible to hunt elk, be successful, and have a great time when in mediocre shape. In this, I know what I am speakin of :hump:

Last edited:
it just depends on where and how you hunt. pack a day smoker can literally 'hack it' :rolleyes: on some hunts. Lots of elk in places other than nosebleed country. If you are camping at the truck instead of backpacking way in, there is no reason he cannot come along and hunt by himself each day as far in as he cares to go. Just be clear about having zero intention of hunting together since this is your hunt and you look forward to an individual challenge but are happy to enjoy/share a camp together.

Show him the success stats (less than 20% most archery areas of Colo) and explain that the newbies are the ones who drag those stats way, way , down. At least you will have been clear that you are hopeful but realistic in expectation that the 1st year, especially, may be a lot of learning followed by a trip home without an elk.

What gear do you (and partner) need that you do not already have for your other hunts?

I have considered looking at units of less elevation. Colorado is the obvious choice, due to OTC, but everything I read points to alot of pressure. With that being said, I have been telling myself that I will need to get away from that pressure. I'm anticipating more travel on foot.

I would need a quality tent, nearly all camping equipment, a quality frame pack. Depending on the terrain, likely some new boots.

Alot would depend on the type of hunt we plan. From the truck camping, I wouldn't need as much. If I were to backpack hunt, I will need all the lightweight gear it requires. I need to do alot more unit research before I can make that decision.

My exact thoughts. Explain to him that you will not wait for him to "catch-up" or wake up in the morning. You will be off for the hunt and if he lags that is his problem. I am sure he can manage to find something to keep himself occupied while you are hunting.

good luck to all
the dog

Train together. That way you can push each other to improve. This may either give him the incentive to loose weight and quit smoking to keep up, or it may convince him that he can't keep up and will decind not to go.

When my oldest son was 14 he drew a NM elk tag. We trained together all summer - running, hill sprinting, and weight lifting. I pushed him hard all summer. Now he is 17 and is on the high school cross country and wrestling teams - he pushes me now!!!!

I went with one guy that wasn't in shape but we managed and I got my bull that year.I would say train with him and that way you know he's ready.Cigarettes don't matter one bit unless he smokes while you hunt.His lungs are use to the cigarettes.If he can't hack the training, he'll back out on his own.The training will also make him lose the weight
Tell him from the get go this isn't a guided hunt and if you can't hang then your on your own.Thats what I tell the guys I go with.If I want to check out the next draw, and they can't make it, then I mark their spot and get them on my way back to camp.You don't have to be a tri athelete to hunt elk,but you do have to be in decent shape.Don't get me wrong, I train, and thats after a full day of doing construction work.I just don't think you need to be the next Cameron Hanes to kill elk
I found good elk within 1/2 mile of my road camp last year in Wy.I would consider that state for a first time hunt over Co.You have a year and a half to get him ready and serious.Start training with him now,and see if he's into it or not

I would also suggest what the others have said and that is to start a training program with him right away and see how that goes for a few months. If he lasts for that length of time, you should be able to see if he is in for it as a hunter or maybe more of a cook in your camp. You can go from there with continued training with him or by yourself and maybe be looking for someone else who has been out there on a hunt or two and won't cause a problem.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back