A Summer of Moose and Mosquitoes

Well, scouting hit a snag.

My meds were switched up, and doctors orders are to stay out of direct sunlight and to avoid unnecessary physical activity for the next 6-8 weeks. Other than some drives through the unit, I'm done looking for moose until I have a rifle in hand in September.

You need a drone, man... ;)

At least you got a good start on it. Probably better off than most tag holders will be already.

Dang.

You've definitely got some good scouting in already. It will be pretty awesome to be wandering that country come September with a rifle in hand.

Sorry to hear. Like everyone else I was looking forward to a summer full of your scouting pictures.

Hope everything gets sorted out on your meds.

That's too bad. Good thing you got a head start on the scouting. Any chance some of your friends and family can at least check your trail cams?

I hate to hear that, but you will do fine come September. That's only about 60 days away depending on when the season starts. It will be upon you before you know it. Good luck, and at least you can practice shooting.

Hate to hear that, hope all goes well for you. I was really enjoying this thread as much as your mule deer thread from last year. Good luck in September I know you will do great.! The sunlight can be horrible with some meds I know from experience when I thought what the heck they don't know. Boy was I wrong and horribly red.

Hang in there and listen to the Doc.
You got a good jump on things already.
I have a feeling that you will do just fine come September. Good friends, a little skill, and a lot of luck = full freezer.

Well, scouting hit a snag.

My meds were switched up, and doctors orders are to stay out of direct sunlight and to avoid unnecessary physical activity for the next 6-8 weeks. Other than some drives through the unit, I'm done looking for moose until I have a rifle in hand in September.

Thats a bummer. I'll be down that way in a week or two to climb a few mountains. If you want me to check your cams or have a spot or two you would like me to check out...let me know. It looks like I am going to have a busy fall, but keep me in the loop and I might have a couple days here and there to help out.

I was as excited as many others to follow along on this journey with you. I hope your feeling great come September! You seem to have quite the network of friends and family so I'm sure you'll still be getting some solid updates!! If you need more help, shoot me a pm. I don't live to far from you!

Haven't checked this in awhile but always love these threads especially yours! Hope your meds level out by the start of season! The rifle in hand will be worth the wait for the prize.

Scouting has slowly started back up, ahead of schedule so that’s a plus. I likely overreacted from the original prognosis.

Over the last four weekends I’ve put in a TON of road miles, glassing as much of the obvious moose habitat as I could, which there’s a ton of. Still nothing spotted. Last weekend Kaitie and I drove past the edge of the unit on our way to go camping elsewhere, and she found a cow and calf on the wrong side of the road from my unit, but close.

Lots of beautiful scenery, sunrises, sunsets and down time, so I can’t complain. It’s amazing how fast the unit has dried up. Went from waist high green grass to yellow dried dust in 2-3 weeks.

20160715_210900_zpsdexw5ktv.jpg

20160806_080523_zpsbqyrspol.jpg

20160806_070322_zpstgillwxo.jpg

20160806_080215_zpsfw9h4p5d.jpg

Saturday I felt like going for a hike, so I went in to Brook Trout Creek to grab my cameras and explore an alternate route in. It was amazing how much drier it was then the last time I was in there on the rainy day that we jumped the bear.

The creek was half the flow as then, and the trout were stacked up in the few pools that are left. I brought the fly rod but decided to leave them be with the water temperature.

20160806_110950_zpszxd2v3sx.jpg

20160806_111513_zpsl8rzdnln.jpg

Silver lining- the mosquitoes have also dried up.

The cameras were full of large antlered ungulates, unfortunately the wrong species though. I’m hopeful that this hunt will play out like last year’s deer hunt, where I barter coordinates to elk hunters in exchange for moose info.

Screenshot_20160807-160623_zps6zvicd5a.png

STC_0103_zps1qrk7izm.jpg

I did get this guy again, the one horned bull. If sightings don’t increase soon I may be sitting in this creek bottom waiting to get a look and see if it’s four inches.

STC_0018_zps0t9d0fxz.jpg

I was headed in to another part of the unit to reset the cameras for the final week before they need pulled, but got caught in a hell of a storm in the process and tucked tail and ran. I wasn’t a fan of all the burnt lodgepole snapping and flying through the air.

Hopefully things start turning around for you soon. I would love to see you put a big one on the ground come season.

The cameras were full of large antlered ungulates, unfortunately the wrong species though. I’m hopeful that this hunt will play out like last year’s deer hunt, where I barter coordinates to elk hunters in exchange for moose info.

Or you could fill an elk tag yourself; plenty of nice looking canidates.

Yep, that's what elk are best for. Bribing strong friends to fly across the country to help pack err... hunt.

That my friend, is called leveraging your assets.:)

If I had a Montana elk tag you would have a Mystery Ranch and a strong back on speed dial.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back