Caribou Gear Tarp

A (Probably/Likely) Really Dumb Question

R

rwc101

Anyone hunt waterfowl out of a float tube? I've been kicking around the idea (heh) of getting a float tube, pontoon, or kayak for fly fishing, but it would be nice if it could pull double duty should I decide to try my hand with ducks.

I have a float tube,kind of a one directional thing.Straight in front of you.
Would be really hard to shoot hard right or hard left.Dropping your gun might be another issue.
They are not a really big platform for equipment.I end up tying coolers to the sides and letting them
float along side.Shallow water is a no go,you have to carry your tube around your waist
and walking in swim fins is almost impossible.A small boat would be a good choice. 〽💥

Used to use a float tube around Yuma when I was at MCAS Yuma back in the mid 90’s. Would go on the ponds that would off shoot from the Colorado River. Worked very well, quite enough to sneak up on em, and would also set up decoys w it.

I have used a sneak boat a couple of times, but I have never used any of the other watercraft that you mentioned. So take this with a grain of salt.

If you plan on using decoys out in open water then I would go with a larger pontoon or kayak. Something with enough of a storage/cargo area for you to put a decoy bag. I have also seen a couple of blinds/grass skirts that you can drape on a kayak or pontoon and turn it into a floating blind. However, if you plan on sitting on the bank and using the craft to deploy decoys, not using decoys at all, or retrieve down birds, then the float tube would be pretty handy.

I plan on hunting waterfowl with a kayak more this year. The way I will use it will be to simply get from A to B. For example, I have seen a small island that is swarmed with ducks. Im going to use my kayak to get there and set up on land! So my hard work will limit me more than my transportation will. You should be good.

Personally, I can see myself messing up throwing the blind back on the Muskrat 100% of the time as the ducks fly away.

I do most of my hunting out of a beavertail stealth. Love the stability of it. Little heavier than a tube or kayak but it's a trade off for space over a tube and better stability than a kayak. I load mine in and out of my truck by myself, so that's something to consider.

most the time you would have to use it like this here to hunt ducks...
gg-2.jpg

Ugh, when I owned a float tube I used it in the warm months. I can't imagine sitting in it in the cold wind, dangling my legs in the frigid water, little crusts of ice forming on the sides of the tube, waiting for a bufflehead to show up so I could just shoot something and be done with it so I could go home...unless you like shrinkage, then by all means go for it!

People have done that as long as their have been float tubes. If it is a good idea why isn't everyone doing it? Camo float tube set ups have been around for decades, after all.

Kayaks are best for fishing because they make less noise and catch less wind. The only time I would prefer a canoe for fishing is with sharks. I will pull a shark right up to the gunnel on a canoe, but from a kayak I am thumbing the spool and letting it cut itself off well away from me. Well, that is what I did twenty years ago. Launching and returning through the surf with a canoe or kayak isn't something I'd be up to anymore.

Canoes are best for hunting because they keep you drier and haul more stuff. Sportspal/Radisson canoes are best because they won't flip or sink. The Radisson model weighing 30# is worth considering. A 60# kayak doesn't seem like a lot until you want to take it somewhere remote. It's not the weight. It's the bulk. People even use carts. Tried that. It sucked. You can put a 30# canoe on one shoulder and go.

Yup. Done it. Even built PVC blinds on them and attached fast grass. They work. Attach a tether if you are worried about dropping your shotgun. You can throw decoys in the back section or drag a jet sled. I ran breathable waders with warm base layers and it was a non issue when it came to the cold. We had 50 yards of ice to walk over too.

I have kicked through the surf in So Cal to fish the kelp beds too. I love fishing from a float tube.

as above posters have said, it can be done in a float tube, but only if you have to....conditions must be right to make that needed and work well. But as waterfowlers, we like to acquire gear and try to outsmart them! We really like gear...

I've used a kayak the last few years. It has worked out great and is also fun to fish from.

Back