A Pow Bear

Nemont

A friend of mine just sent me this story of his POW bear.

Here is a few quick shots of my bear hunt on Prince of Whales Island this spring. We went over Memorial Day weekend and did it all ourselves. No Outfitter. This was the second time I've been there and for an area that gets over 135" of rain a year we did not get any rain during daylight hours on either trip. Very lucky. The bugs were not really a problem either. We had two crab pots out during this hunt and caught between 5-8 legal crabs every day. We boiled them for 12 minutes and then ate them without butter or any seasoning and they were fantastic. We dug clams and ate them as well. My friend Chuck killed a 6' Boar with a skull of 18 5/16". He made a fantastic shot and the bears hide was better than average for the island. On the second to last day I killed this bear who squared 6'6" and had a skull of 18 10/16". I was fortunate enough to make a very fatal shot on the bear and he died less than 40 yards from my tree and was completely done in less than 7 seconds. Unbelievable! We saw tons of seal and even got in the middle of a pod of 15 Killer Whales. Very close to them is an understatement. We were in a 14' Lund with a 15 Horse motor. They didn't like us so close and actually followed us for a little bit!! HUGE DORSAL FIN IN OUR ROOSTER TAIL......well at lease as much of a rooster tail that a 15 horse can throw.
2dfb2e5b.bmp

c9bc59fc.bmp

Nemont

That's AWESOME! He gets some great animals with a trad bow! I'm hoping to make a trip up there in the next couple of years.

Nemont,

That sounds like a blast. That's also pretty cool you are doing it all on your own with some great success. Congrats on an awesome bear.

Back