Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

A boy and his first ELK , finally

300stw

my son has had this breaks cow tag before, just couldnt get her done, elk fever long hikes, long mulerides,,,,

this year little different, we started at 3 am drove out towards the pines,,,

right at daylight we were on a large bull, couldnt tell if he had cows, another guy climbed the hill to glass, he mentioned his son had a bull tag,,,, i said there is a big bull right down the valley and showed them where, off they went, they didnt end up getting the bull,

my son questioned my thought process, i said if you had a bull tag hopefully someone would of done the same, we put on about 8 miles on foot in the morning decided to change locations,,,

about 430 i glass up a herd with 12 cows and 4 bulls, off we go, son wife and i

bout a mile and a 200 yard shot and the celebration began,,,
he got to use his custom winston knive once again, he helped i did most of the work,,,

i had said I only want to make one trip, wife packs the backstraps and all loose meat, son and I front and rear quarter each,,,
anyway I remember why I have mules and quit packing 2 quarters at once, home about 900 pm wonderful day with family in montana,, and tenderloin this afternoon,,,
i had glassed up numerous muley bucks for the wife to shoot, she declined saying WE NEED ELK MEAT,,,,
i have never seen such few hunters in the area from the pines to bone trail, virtually none, last year it was a zoo,,,,,,lack of being able to harvest a doe, maybe the change?anyway
getting ready for tenderloin,,,,,

Attachments

• e1.jpg
    e1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 803
  • e3.jpg
    e3.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 801
Here's hoping he never recovers from elk fever. Congratulations to you all.

CONGRATS to you guys! I enjoy reading these types of posts. Now the monkey is off his back (and yours) and he'll be filling the freezer for many years to come.

+1 on the shirt = awesome!

Congrats to your son. Packing a load of meat that far, he knows what elk hunting can be like. Hope it is the first of many more.

Yes! The feeling of a successful hunt can't be beat. And, nice job helping someone else with advice. A great lesson for us all. Nice packing pictures too.

Super!!!! Love those 'guns' and good for your boy!
Great work making the boy work too! Good pack man!
Congrats!!!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back