Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

8x binoculars enough for Western hunting?

kit_man_du

Hello,

For those of you who use 8x42 binoculars, do you wish for more power (10x) when rifle hunting elk/mule deer/pronghorn out west? I am looking to buy my first pair of binoculars along with a spotting scope. Will a 10x be too much power for glassing forests and timber?

Thanks

10x is not too much at all. You could get away with 8x, but you'll be much happier with 10x. 12x you will start to have issues with hand tremors.

Do not go too cheap on binos or scopes. Quality optics pay off in the end. Not as critical for deer and antelope as my typical shots for those is 100 yards but for elk and bear you often are looking at half mile to one mile ranges you have to close up and without quality binos or scocps you would never spot them.

I bought these and I absolutely do not regret it: h

You can probably find them cheaper shopping around. Get a minimum 10x, nothing less.

I’ve been finding animals pretty well for 8-9 years now with 8x SLC HDs. If I started over I’d probably go 10x, but 8s are not a handicap for what I do. Good quality and knowing how to glass trumps x’s easily in my experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no always right or wrong answer. I often wish I had 8x in the elk woods, when I'm scanning sub 400 yards, for the wider field of view.

10x is a solid compromise choice for all situations, though.

I concur with Highdesertsage, I use Swarovski 10x42 with the range finder. They are very expensive but are worth the investment if you are a serious big game hunter. Relax, they work at short range as well as long. I have been a serious big game hunter all over the world for 70 years, not a typo, good binos help find good trophies. Get the best you can afford.

Might add they make a great adventure even better by helping enjoy the environment in exciting parts of the world, be they in North America, Africa, or the Steppes of Mongolia. Kindest Regards

I concur with Highdesertsage, I use Swarovski 10x42 with the range finder. They are very expensive but are worth the investment if you are a serious big game hunter. Relax, they work at short range as well as long. I have been a serious big game hunter all over the world for 70 years, not a typo, good binos help find good trophies. Get the best you can afford.
Joining the club of us old guys heh?

10x is Fine, I have used all over the West for Pronghorn, Mule deer, Elk, Mt goat, elk, Bighorn sheep, and moose. Have taken them with no regrets into the jungle of Cameroon and The Central African Republic. Their size may take getting used to. Your hunt will not be a failure if you settle on lesser power. Good luck.

WyoDoug, take it you are an old timer too? Hello from one curmudgeon to another and kindest regards.

So a 10x should be enough for western hunting? So it sounds like it should be good for timber and forests too.
It is not that first number really that matters. That is the magnification. It's the second number which is objective size. My recommendation is magnification to be 10x or stronger. I prefer 12x. The objective size should be 50mm or bigger. It also has to do with what kind of practical application you are going to apply with it. If the animals you are hunting are typically less than 1000 yards and you are getting plenty of 500 yard or less shots then a 10x mag is fine with about 30-40mm objective size. But if you find yourself looking at animals over 1000 yards, you are really going to wish you had at least 12x50mm binos and/or a spotting scope.

I use 8x30s in the North Idaho dark timber. They are great for the "Remi Stalk", still hunting in the thick When you break out into the open ground you want more. I am saving for high end 10X before I make my next big trip.

I screwed around with binos for years selling, buying, trying this pair, that pair.

Do yourself a favor, save your money and buy Swarovski 10x42 SLC's and be done.
Ain't that the truth. My son just bit the bullet and bought these. He was lamenting the cost and I told him I have spent that much and more over the years trying not to buy the Swaro's

10x is not too much at all. You could get away with 8x, but you'll be much happier with 10x.

I would not agree with this statement. I bought into it and went from 8x to 10x and immediately regretted it. I put up with the 10x for a few years and finally sold and switched back to 8x last year and am much happier. There are a lot of advantages in going with a little less magnification and if you get good glass, you won't miss anything.

Back