772 pound black bear

Yep, PA produces some big bears. Having grown up there I follow the harvest each year out of curiosity to see what giants may show up. Generally there are a handful of 600 pounders every year.

According to former bear biologist Dr. Gary Alt. There was a bear in the state that was near 1000 pounds. Love hunting PA black bears every year. Had one taken 5 miles from my home almost 700 pounds. Makes you dream everytime you step in the woods hunting them here.

Plenty of big bears here.

Until 3 or 4 years ago, the season opened on a Monday and only lasted a few days. Now, there is a week of archery season and a week of rifle season. In the unit around Pittsburgh the population has recovered enough, beArs can be killed during archery deer season.

I live in the heart of giant bear country here in Pa.You wouldn't believe the size of a couple that have walked thru my yard.I've had 2 654lb bears killed in my developement;same weight and killed same year.Anyone that wants to give the hunt a shot send me a pm.We put out 25 guys in drives for them.We moved a couple this year but they outsmarted us.By far the toughest hunt of the year for me.You have to crawl on your hands and knees thru their living room to move them out to the standers.Some drives are close to 1/2 mile in length.I love it though

According to former bear biologist Dr. Gary Alt. There was a bear in the state that was near 1000 pounds.

I believe Pa and NC have some of the largest black bear harvest weights.
big28hunter, I think the largest kill on record was one killed in NC that weighed 880lbs. Regardless, any bear over 500 lbs is a beast!

I believe Pa and NC have some of the largest black bear harvest weights.
big28hunter, I think the largest kill on record was one killed in NC that weighed 880lbs. Regardless, any bear over 500 lbs is a beast!

Totally agree! It seems when they hit 500 pounds their heads turn into giant black pumpkins!

I live in the heart of giant bear country here in Pa.You wouldn't believe the size of a couple that have walked thru my yard.I've had 2 654lb bears killed in my developement;same weight and killed same year.Anyone that wants to give the hunt a shot send me a pm.We put out 25 guys in drives for them.We moved a couple this year but they outsmarted us.By far the toughest hunt of the year for me.You have to crawl on your hands and knees thru their living room to move them out to the standers.Some drives are close to 1/2 mile in length.I love it though

Cool stuff in your back yard.

There are a lot more big bears out there then what get harvested every year. PA game commission just release the harvest results last week for 2013 and there was 58 bears over 500 lbs harvested this year. I was born and raised in the mountains of north central PA in some great bear country and see monsters all the time. I was lucky enough to harvest a 315 lb bear this season and the group I hunt with took 3 bears on the first day. The big bears are there but they definitely aren't easy to get.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back