6.5 PRC

tzone

How do you guys like yours? It's intriguing me a bit the more I read about it. I see a few more companies coming out with rifles chambered in it. It's getting hard to pass up the Mauser M18 at $400. 😁

I love mine. I've got a CA Ridgeline that shoots just like I want and was successful with it out to about 325 yards on a western hunt last year.

If you like high speed, it should be great. I think that its biggest issue may be barrel life, if you do very much shooting. For the occasional hunt, it would be a top choice, based on everything I have seen about it. 6.5 bullets rock.

If you like high speed, it should be great. I think that its biggest issue may be barrel life, if you do very much shooting.

I was wondering about that too. I have enough that they’ll get rotated. May or may not be an issue. Something to keep in mind for sure.

If you like high speed, it should be great. I think that its biggest issue may be barrel life, if you do very much shooting. For the occasional hunt, it would be a top choice, based on everything I have seen about it. 6.5 bullets rock.
+1
CC.jpg

BB.jpg

Eddie F I assume! Just curious why PRC over 6.5SAUM?

The reason for me was inexpensive and super accurate factory ammo. Buy bulk ammo and there isn't enough savings or enough room for improvement over the factory stuff to justify spending the time that I don't have reloading.

I'm gathering parts for a 6.5 PRC build also. I'll be building off an action that many barrel makers produce prefit barrels for so barrel life will be less of a concern to me.

It’s pretty much the same case capacity as a 6.5-284Norma. Barrel life should be 800-1200 rounds for tip top accuracy. 1500ish for good hunting accuracy. The advantage over the 6.5-284Norma is that it should work well in a short action. I don’t really mind long actions, especially with long bullets.

The reason for me was inexpensive and super accurate factory ammo. Buy bulk ammo and there isn't enough savings or enough room for improvement over the factory stuff to justify spending the time that I don't have reloading.

Factory ammo is definitely a factor but there is SAUM ammo available also.

Yep, Eddie does awesome work. PRC because of better potential for factory loads and brass, and as George G. has noted it was better designed for a top loading hunting rifle. I have a 700Ti that was a 300 SAUM as a donor.

Sounds like that will be a fun rifle JR. My 6.5SAUM is built off a M70 SA. Factory mag box is over 3” so it works well with the SAUM.

Yep, Eddie does awesome work. PRC because of better potential for factory loads and brass, and as George G. has noted it was better designed for a top loading hunting rifle. I have a 700Ti that was a 300 SAUM as a donor.

If your 300 SAUM is half as good as my 7 SAUM, you should keep it a 300 SAUM. Very nice cartridge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back