6.5 Grendel

Hertervillian

If I’m not going AR is there really a reason to chase this round? One of these days the kid is going to be needing a rifle to do what kids do, “shoot deers” 😂.

I like the low recoil, fun target gun. I have more faith in it than a .223, sorry but that’s the way it is. The 7.65x39 is another contender I guess.

If I’m not going AR is there really a reason to chase this round? One of these days the kid is going to be needing a rifle to do what kids do, “shoot deers” 😂.

I like the low recoil, fun target gun. I have more faith in it than a .223, sorry but that’s the way it is. The 7.65x39 is another contender I guess.
It's a truly useful round for the small AR platform, but if you were looking at any other action, you could have far superior performance and low recoil.

Yeah, imo, it's the best round for hunting medium sized game with an AR, and own one myself, but wouldn't waste time with that caliber in any other style of rifle. 7mm-08, .243 or something in 6mm would be much better

I’ll play devils advocate. I have a Howa Mini Action Youth with a 20” #1 barrel and it’s a great little rifle. I shoot the Hornady Black 123gr ammo as well as the Federal TNT 90 grain. I bought it in case one my daughters wanted to hunt and so far they haven’t so made it my “truck” gun. Pleasant to carry with very light recoil but also low muzzle blast even with light set up, which may make it more pleasant to shoot for a kid than a .243. Game count is 1 250# + sow (35 yards) 1 Small 8 pt (85 yards) 1 Yote (205 yards). All DRT. The smaller Mini Howa and CZ actions make them super handy. If I were to get the RAP would go with other option.34CDDDE3-F554-42EC-B7A1-083248E2524A.jpeg7380EB3D-5D4B-4D1F-A8D8-4406DAB1BE9A.jpeg4061C319-51D0-401E-A1EA-BA4406C16F46.jpeg

That sow looks like a mini hippo. Nothing at all wrong with owning a bolt grendel, just wouldnt be in my top choices.

That sow looks like a mini hippo. Nothing at all wrong with owning a bolt grendel, just wouldnt be in my top choices.
Yeah she was fat! Won’t do that again...understand...I just like the round and mostly the mini action. I’d look hard at a Ruger Predator in 6 Creedmoor. Pretty versatile. Of course so is .243.

6.5G bolt action is a softer shooter and more reliable on blood trails than .243. You could do .260, etc. but for a younger kid you'd want to use low recoil loads which equate to 6.5G. My kids use ARs in 6.5G and .223. The adjustable stock is a big deal.

6.5G bolt action is a softer shooter and more reliable on blood trails than .243. You could do .260, etc. but for a younger kid you'd want to use low recoil loads which equate to 6.5G. My kids use ARs in 6.5G and .223. The adjustable stock is a big deal.
That's why I built one on 6.5g. Adjustable stock, no recoil, great for a family rifle

If Howa had made those minis in 6.5G in a LH model I'd have one, if not two at the house for the boys.

A bolt 6.5G wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't not buy one. The Howa mini action rifle makes a great light weight choice. I have two in AR 15 platforms

I’ll play devils advocate. I have a Howa Mini Action Youth with a 20” #1 barrel and it’s a great little rifle. I shoot the Hornady Black 123gr ammo as well as the Federal TNT 90 grain. I bought it in case one my daughters wanted to hunt and so far they haven’t so made it my “truck” gun. Pleasant to carry with very light recoil but also low muzzle blast even with light set up, which may make it more pleasant to shoot for a kid than a .243. Game count is 1 250# + sow (35 yards) 1 Small 8 pt (85 yards) 1 Yote (205 yards). All DRT. The smaller Mini Howa and CZ actions make them super handy. If I were to get the RAP would go with other option.View attachment 132288View attachment 132289View attachment 132290
Yeah, I think that 6.5 mini action would be a great first deer rifle for little kids. I thought about it for mine, but it was just alot more expensive than some of the other options.

Thanks all for your insights. Both the Howa mini and an AR are on the short list. I have time but like to have enough info to jump on one early if the opportunity presents itself.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colt97
Back