Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

6.5 Creedmore or 7mm?

I hope you're being sarcastic because I don't think that's what he was referring to at all (at least I hope not).

It was tounge in cheek. He did however say he was comfortable shooting out to 1k, and also stated that he is currently hunting with a browning 30-30. Perhaps I misinterpreted what he meant in his comments, maybe he want to be able to develop the capability, not sure....

I own both a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 7mm Rem Mag. I like the 6.5 for everything up to a large deer. It’s fun to shoot and I’m not sore at the end of the day. It’s killed 3 elk, 1 mule deer, and one antelope. With that being said it killed the elk but 2 out of the 3 were not as quick as what I would of liked. So I went and bought a 7 Rem Mag to send more kenetic energy down range for a quicker kill on elk. If you were going to do a 1 and done do all gun I would lean towards a .284 caliber and learn how to sneak as close as possible. 500 yards on a animal is a very long ways most will never need to shoot.

Out to 300 yards, there is not enough difference in drop between the three to make a difference. Pick a caliber/rifle that fills your needs and learn how to shoot it. NONE will "blow a white tail to pieces". The level of destruction is based more bullet construction, placement and distance (impact velocity), than what caliber you used.

If you are not accustomed to heavier recoil and have never shot anything but a thuty-thuty, I would definitely pick the Creedmoor. It is easy to shoot (which allows you to learn proper technique, without developing a flinch), has more factory ammo all the time and is extremely easy to reload, if you go that route. Once you learn what you are doing, it will also handle larger game than the average deer.

I have shot 7 mags for years and am a fan, but they stay in the safe most of the time in lieu of my .260s and Creed. I also shoot a .308 and '06. None of them have ever blown a deer to pieces.

You have a long way to go before 1000 yards is even a consideration. Learn how to hunt and how to shoot whichever rifle you pick, at reasonable (300 and under) ranges. There is just, plain way too much media anymore that glorifies the long-range "hunting". Learn the difference in the performance of different bullets and which will give you the terminal performance that you desire for the game hunted. The bullet is far more important than the caliber.

Not with my 30-30. Shot that distance in the military.

Disregard. Still learning platform, this went to wrong person. Thank you for your information.

Last edited:
Not with my 30-30. Shot that distance in the military.

Disregard. Still learning platform, this went to wrong person. Thank you for your information.
If you load your own ammo, pick what ever blows your skirt up. If factory ammo, I'd go with the 6.5. It currently has a lot of factory load options that are widely available and will do anything you are asking it to do.

I too was guilty of posting about worrying about hunting to 1K yards, but the reality is very, very few will spend the money or take the time to get proficient to hunt to that distance. For what you're hunting the 6.5 or really anything similar will do what you want as well as the 7 Rem Mag. The smaller ones will just do it cheaper and easier. Besides once you're proficient to hunt to 1K yards you'll be giving advice on these types of threads, not asking about it...

Thank you to everyone for the input. I am sorry some of my responses have been doubled. I am still figuring out the forum. I really appreciate the first hand responses about what you are using and for what.

For about 2 3rds of hunting situations I'm in, I actually prefer the .308. If you're pretty much just going to hunt whitetail, any cartridge you mentioned will be more than adequate. But don't try to shoot deer at 600yds, that's silliness.

I am a big fan of the 7mms. However I guess I could find a place for a 6.5prc

7mm mag for me. I've been shooting one since I was a teenager. I liked seeing my elk die within sight this year. I have killed tons of whitetails with it. Shoot them behind the shoulder, like you are supposed to and you won't lose any meat. Shooting them in the shoulder is a different story.

The 7mm/284 caliber has a wider range of cartriges to choose from, 7m08 thru 7mm mag. I am a .284 fan so am biased. When i went to AK for moose tho i went & bought a 300winmag. Mainly because it is griz country. Oh & i liked the excuse for a new pack rifle, Tikka T3 ultra lite.....hahaha

7mm08 if you are staying under 400 yards, 7mmRemMag if willing to shoot mag and want to stretch the legs of 7mm bullets beyond 400y, 6.5 manbun if shooting 400-500 and recoil shy.

Pretty good advice here, but its not like a 7-08 bullet falls from the sky at 401+...

Between 6.5 CM, 7-08, and .308 I’d go 7-08. It’ll shoot 140’s faster than a 6.5CM and can go heavier if you want to. A 7mag would be even better, but at the cost of ammo price, barrel life, and having to buy a long action firearm.

If considering other cartridges, a 6.5x55, 6.5-284, .280Rem, and .280AI all offer a flatter trajectory. The 6.5-284 isn’t ideal in a short action, leaving the 6.5x55 the only one of the four that’s good in a short action. Personally I don’t care about short vs long, but other people do.

Back