Yeti GOBOX Collection

44 mag for a lever gun

sccritterkiller

I have started reloading 44 mag for a 1894 I picked up. Main use will be hogs and WT from bow stands..less than 60yd shots.
H110 and 240 gr nosler JHP.
Most of the load data I find is for pistols...I have an accurate load work up, 50 yds open sights, I am about a grain under max load for the pistol data. Getting 1630fps on my labradar. No signs of pressure.
For the folks that have worked up a load for a 44mag rifle...what are you seeing?
TIA
sc

I need a .44 long gun, just haven't found the right deal yet.

According to Sierra's data, 22.3 gr of H110 will push their 240 gr JHP at 1630 fps in a 16" barrel. They list max as 24 gr of H110 at 1750 fps.

Nosler lists max at 23.8 gr of H110 at 1610 fps out of an 18.5" barrel.

Last edited:
I am using 22.8 gr of H110 currently..but it was more of test, 1st time loading 44mag or any pistol round for that matter. Gonna bump the charge with next round of ammo. At least H110 is easy to find locally and I have a couple thousand pistol primers.

This gun kind of fell into my lap wasn't even looking for one, estate sale never saw till was delivered to my FFL, for a 30yr old gun I did ok...Already had the stuff to reload 44mag from another trade. It was bone stock but slowly making it my own...

If anyone notices any faux pas with my lever gun flare please let me know...1st lever gun I have every bought, learning as I go.
20230918_184441.jpg

According to Sierra's data, 22.3 gr of H110 will push their 240 gr JHP at 2630 fps in a 16" barrel. They list max as 24 gr of H110 at 1750 fps.

Nosler lists max at 23.8 gr of H110 at 1610 fps out of an 18.5" barrel.
Did you mean 1630 fps in 16" barrel...2630 fps is smoking fast for 240gr bullet.

I am using 22.8 gr of H110 currently..but it was more of test, 1st time loading 44mag or any pistol round for that matter. Gonna bump the charge with next round of ammo. At least H110 is easy to find locally and I have a couple thousand pistol primers.

This gun kind of fell into my lap wasn't even looking for one, estate sale never saw till was delivered to my FFL, for a 30yr old gun I did ok...Already had the stuff to reload 44mag from another trade. It was bone stock but slowly making it my own...

If anyone notices any faux pas with my lever gun flare please let me know...1st lever gun I have every bought, learning as I go.
View attachment 294120
Pretty rifle sir...excellent choice on the strap.

View attachment 294120
That's a nice rifle.

Heck yeah!! Nice buck.
Lever actions are just plain fun to shoot and hunt with.
I use both a .44 mag and a .41 mag for our hog hunts down in Texas.
I had my spouse load up some Leigh Defense extreme defense bullets for me in the 41 mag, 150 gr. Those bullets are pretty awesome on hogs. They make .429 for the .44 mag at lighter weights. The extreme penetrators would also be good.
An email got me good reloading data from them.

Just bought a Ruger Marlin 1894 in 44 magnum. Going to try 2400 and a 240 xtp to start with. The main use will be lever gun silhouette for both pistol cartridge and rifle cartridge class. I had a Henry being held for me at the Missoula Scheels but after reading one of the threads comparing them "thanks p_ham & Brent" I compared both rifles and went with the Ruger Marlin. Now to do some loading and shooting. I think it's going to be a fun gun.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back