400 mi each way and all we got was one bull.

Elkmagnet

Its to bad my spot is 400 mi and on the other side of the state. We just went up for the weekend and drove my wife's car met up with my friend and we were off.
For those of you that live in northeastern idaho you know we had a crazy thunder storm on sat. well it put down 3/4" of hail at 8700' and the temp at 2:00pm droped to 34 so we made the most of it. I have a draw cow tag so I was the caller for my wife and friend. we made 8 setups and had 11 bulls come in that we got a look at but we just couldnt close the deal its always somthing but mostly a changing wind. They were coming in but were very cautious and would stall about 150 yards from me and 75 from the shooters.
Well we finaly got this guy and two 6 points in a bachlor group to come in on a string. He went to the left and and stoped 30 yards from my friend they had a 3 min stare down with my buddy at full draw I threw every call in the book at them to get him to take one more step and when he did whakkk dubble lung and they all started to run we stayed and called for 30more min to let him pass and when my wife found him one of the 6 points was standing over him, but blew out of there when they bumped into each other. We were just off the road so that was nice. Needles to say I regret putting in for that cow tag second choice. We have to wait until the 20th to go back so I hope there still there for crystal to get one shes put in over 50 hard days in the last ten years with lots and lots of close but no elk mabe she needs a better guide;) Good luck to all Oh and we called in two idiots that were in a white dodge with plate# 8b 223 when they got close enugh I waved to tell them I was a person and they started yelling and after they walked off took there handgun out and shot up in the air 10 times. Butthurt? I hope they see this. People are stupid!

took there handgun out and shot up in the air 10 times

Isn't there a statute that prohibits hunter harassment in Idaho? Idaho plates?

Nice bull btw.

Good job, sounds like you all had a great hunt. Keep following up with your F&G, glad you turned them in. I'm not tolerant of @$$ holes like that either!

Congrats on the bull! Crazy you guys got dusted with snow already. What altitude did you get him?

Congrats on the bull. Good luck to your wife, sounds like she has put in the effort. Hopefully this is the year it comes together.

Congrats to your buddy on a nice bull!

As for the 'sportsmen' you encountered, I had the same thing happen on Wednesday - somebody popping off rounds (5 or 6) from where my truck was parked. I was about a mile away and had just spotted a couple mule deer and was trying to see if there was a buck in the mix. They blew out of town when the shots rang out and I hoofed it back to my truck, but missed whoever it was 'helping me out.'

Luckily I was only scouting elk, while hunting deer and turkey. If somebody did that during my elk hunt, I might come unglued.

I think 8500-8700 but that was the hail from the thunder storm.

Not exactly sure how I missed that in your first post. :confused: Had a couple storm cells out here on Saturday as well, little rain but lots of lighting. Makes a guy think twice about walking the ridge lines.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back