Yeti GOBOX Collection

.40 vs. .45 for bears

40, 10mm, 44 mag, 45 auto... None of these are going to stop a bear in its tracks unless its shot right in the CPU. I carry bear spray and if I run out of that I will pull out the 10mm. Btw 40 cal has better ballistics and penetration than the 45 auto.

Good luck on your pistol purchase

Anyone ever have/heard of issues with bears coming into their camp at night while sleeping or just sitting around? Curious what the diff in opinions are on what people do w/their camp food at night. Hang it a tree or keep in your shelter, and what do you do w/the packaging from the food you've already eaten, same thing?

always hang your food ( all of it). And not right over your tent. . . at least for the black bears that we sometimes have visits from in the Boundary Waters. . .seems to work well.

40, 10mm, 44 mag, 45 auto... None of these are going to stop a bear in its tracks unless its shot right in the CPU. I carry bear spray and if I run out of that I will pull out the 10mm. Btw 40 cal has better ballistics and penetration than the 45 auto.

Good luck on your pistol purchase

agree. ( as far as knockdown power, I still believe the .45 is a shade better).

Knockdown power is a meaningless term when talking a pistol for bear protection.

A few questions:

Black bears of grizzly?
How good of a shot are you?
How much weight do you want to carry?
Are you going to carry this with you as a concealed?
Home defense i.e you keep it in a lockbox under your bed?

Terminal ballistics won't mean squat if your bullet does not reach the boiler room. Take a look at a bear carcass and then imagine your pistol bullet trying to penetrate all of that. A .45 ACP is rather anemic when it comes to penetration, but that's not really what it was designed for. A .40 SW will penetrate better. Neither will hold a candle to a .44 mag with hard cast lead bullets.

If I were you, and wanted a gun to keep in my home, and carry with me as a last resort I'd be looking at a .357 lightweight revolver, understanding full well that it will hurt to shoot very much and be louder than hell. And, I'd carry bear spray.

I have a SuperRedhawk in 480 Ruger. The ammo is limited not to mention pricey. The dang thing must weigh +5lbs loaded. I often carry a 4" Springfield XD 9mm with 16rds. I am able to get all 16 of the 9mm down range in the same time as I can 6 of the 480. To me spray and pray may have more relavence than ft/lbs of energy.

Scoot- Whatever caliber you chose, make sure you buy a short barrel version of pistol. That way, when the bear shoves it up your ars, it won't hurt quite as much! LOL!

As everyone says, .44 is probably ideal...
however, I was in the same boat as you and wanted something that didn't cost a fortune to shoot at the range, was decent for defense, and could "maybe" stop a griz...or at least make him run away if the spray didn't work. i bought a .357 S&W...I can shoot cheap .38 special at the range, .38 +p hollow points in the house, and i carry 180 gr .357 rounds when in bear country.

I usually carry a bow with an extra arrow (just in case I hit the bear bad the first shot) That combined with a little UDAP Bear repellant squirted on my boots and the back of my neck.

Also, always keep your food with you in your tent. You can't defend it from a bear if it's hanging in a tree.

If you are determined to get an auto get a 10mm. If you are willing to get a revolver i'd stick with a 44mag and plink with the 44 specials. 4 inch barrel or less to cut down the weight.

45 acp is like buying a Ford Mustang with a V-6. If your going to go for a .45 get the LC IMO.

THe relationship between the 10mm Norma round and the .40 S&W is about the same as the relationship between the .357 and 38 or the 9mm Luger and the 380 Auto. One is just the big brother to the other and as such, is considerably more powerful. Either way you go, consider how much your butt is worth to you. That is going to be the deciding factor when you decide to stave off a large, slobbering, toothy critter, that you were not actually intending to shoot with a handgun.... So, how much is your butt worth to you?

Scoot- Whatever caliber you chose, make sure you buy a short barrel version of pistol. That way, when the bear shoves it up your ars, it won't hurt quite as much! LOL!

File off the front sight, right? LOL

OK, here's what I've decided- I'm getting a Smith & Wesson M & P in .40 ACP that I'll carry for my hunts in non-grizz country. When I got to grizz country I'll either borrow my buddy's .44 mag or I'll sit in his back pocket for most of the trip. Plus, I'll carry bear spray...

Thanks again for all of your input and info- I greatly appreciate it!
Happy New Year!
Scott

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back