.40 cal pistol and brown bear

Here is some bullet data for the .40.
http://demigodllc.com/~zak/firearms/fbi-pistol.php?sort=pen2
If you sort it for penetration on clothed gelatin the deepest sinking round in .40 that was tested is Federal's 180 grain hydro shok. It went deeper than all the 357 mag rounds tested and 10mm. Please note I don't see a full metal jacked round tested. I'm curious how FMJs will result and how some of the newer bullet designs will do. Hope this helps...aside from all the flack.

The douchebagetry is sure getting fun around here...

The best part of your smart assed reply is your level of experience pretty much matches his.

LOL- "douchebagetry..." That about sums it up.

I think my initial question made my inexperience pretty clear- I wasn't trying to be or even sound like an expert on the topics of guns or bears. I was simply looking for some info from more experienced and informed fellas than myself. For many, that was obviously too much to ask.

Bambi, is it unacceptable to ask a question about something I'm looking to get more info about? I realize this is the internet and it's the grandest setting there is for any and all to be experts of everything, but that's not the case with me. There's plenty I don't know and I don't feel the need to pretend otherwise. I was just looking for a little info...

Thanks to those who offered helpful replies.

Scoot....

Bambi is so much better since taking the court mandated anger management program but he's still a little surly sometimes..;)

BTW, I carry a .40 also but, as you, not for brown bears. That's why I hunt rifle seasons...not to carry a big azzzed pistola.:D

Scoot

If you are in grizz country a lot, then I would say it makes sense to carry just from a point of mental wellbeing. If you're planning on a visit, I wouldn't bother.

My wife and I did a DIY caribou hunt a few years back where the transporter flew us and our gear in, dropped us and came back 9 days later to pick us up. I asked him and many others about a handgun and took their advice and left it home. We were limited to 70 lbs of gear each and I opted for another complete change of clothing than for a handgun. We had one rather tenuous encounter with a brown bear that wanted to walk through our camp. We stood our ground, rifles in hand, and managed to bluff our way out of the situation. We saw brown bears every day and more than one on most days. From that one experience, I would say if it comes down to handgun range, you are not going to win. Those bears are too fast and too hard of a target when running inside of 75 yards to be effective with a handgun IMO. That means the time you are going to be effective is when you put the muzzle in the bears mouth and thats too late. We always kept the rifle within reach and took the toilet paper, shovel and rifle when we left camp for nature calls. Far better to be aware of every situation and not compromise yourself than to try and deal with a brown bear at close range. Seemed like most bears didn't want human contact as most humans they saw were carrying tags. As long as we made our presence known when we were around bears, they left the area before we had a problem. The caribou were in the open country and we didn't have any problems with bears while stalking, cleaning or packing out. Surprisingly, we had a meat cache near camp for 5 days and no critters ever got into it. Those big bears were busy mowing down blueberries in amounts that is hard to comprehend and didn't want anything to do with our meat.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back