.40 cal pistol and brown bear

Scoot

I'm considering getting a .40 cal pistol. I won't be getting this pistol for the purposes of bear protection. However, when I hunt in brown bear country, is there a load/bullet option that I might consider that'd be sufficient for brown bear?

I realize that I'm not talking about the perfect brown bear gun. I also realize that some prefer bear spray. Can I get you brown bear experts to chime in and offer up some info on this caliber and if there are options with it that make any sense for brown bear?
Thanks much,
Scoot

I carry a .40 for personal protection and its not viewed to be a sure people stopper let alone a peeved off griz on steriods. There is a lot better calibers for them..... That said 15 rounds in my glock is nothing to sneeze at either and I carry it in the hills here all the time its alot lighter than my Vaquero .45 colt loaded with 300gr rhino killers and I can put all 15 out the pipe pretty quick. I'm not sure I would carry it knowing there was a real high density of big mean bears though

"What exactly is a brown bear?"

I can really see how the question was confusing for you. Just so you understand a little better- I wasn't referring to black or polar bears. Dinkshooter is correct. However, if you couldn't figure out exactly what I was getting at with my question, then you don't need to bother replying... It's a grizz. By grizz, I mean grizzly. By grizzly, I mean grizzly bear. They are large mammals that inhabit a fair bit of North America. Clearer for you?

gman, are there particular loads that would work better or worse? Obviously yes, but what might be a good option (good being relative given the caliber)?

Is this from The Mitchell Report? Does Brian McNamee have a hand in this?

I had no idea.... I'm leaving MT asap

lol..... I just mean the larger costal variety of grizzly which is usually called "brown bear" I by no means am trying to imply any grizzly was given or knowingly took steroids

As for loads I would look into cor bon or buffalo bore and get the heaviest hard cast lead you can possibly find and make sure it feeds and shoots just as reliably as anything else you carry I'm no expert and carry manstopper hollow points but I would think fmj's would actually works better than a Hp used for self defense

I'm considering getting a .40 cal pistol. I won't be getting this pistol for the purposes of bear protection. However, when I hunt in brown bear country, is there a load/bullet option that I might consider that'd be sufficient for brown bear?

I realize that I'm not talking about the perfect brown bear gun. I also realize that some prefer bear spray. Can I get you brown bear experts to chime in and offer up some info on this caliber and if there are options with it that make any sense for brown bear?
Thanks much,
Scoot

I am NOT any kind of Grix expert, All I will say is if faced with one who views me as lunch or danger 6 shots from my .44 are what I would guard my own life with.

You might try Hornady's critical duty. It is suppose to be able to go through auto glass and still hit a bear in case one charges while you are actively road hunting.:D

I carry a .40 a lot up here. It's my daily carry gun,, and if Im doing non-hunting things, I carry it.

I know of a guy who dropped a sow brownie with his 9mm. It took 2 mags to kill it but it killed it ( I really don't recommend a 9mm for bigbears). I wouldn't even recommend a .40, but the chances of getting charged by a browny are small. And it beats a pointy stick.

When I'm not carrying the .40, it's my 4" smith 686.

when I was getting gear ready for my Alaska caribou hunt last year, I asked my outfitter what bullets he would recommend for my 40. he said it didn't really matter-just be sure to file off the front sight. said it would be much easier to remove after the bear rammed it up my rectum that way!

"What exactly is a brown bear?"

I can really see how the question was confusing for you. Just so you understand a little better- I wasn't referring to black or polar bears. Dinkshooter is correct. However, if you couldn't figure out exactly what I was getting at with my question, then you don't need to bother replying... It's a grizz. By grizz, I mean grizzly. By grizzly, I mean grizzly bear. They are large mammals that inhabit a fair bit of North America. Clearer for you?

gman, are there particular loads that would work better or worse? Obviously yes, but what might be a good option (good being relative given the caliber)?

The douchebagetry is sure getting fun around here...

The best part of your smart assed reply is your level of experience pretty much matches his.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back