Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

4 for 4 archery elk. Not sure how to feel

Well, I did it again with my bow over the weekend! My fourth archery elk in four years all within a mile of each other. As happy as I am to have the meat and for the great experience packing it out with both my parents there, I am still having an internal conundrum. The bull I shot was not the bull I though it was.... He was young, legal, but young.

I was cow calling after a stupid accidental trigger hit that sent and arrow into the abyss and spooking the good 5 point and cows away and over a little ridge at about 25 yards with his head obscured by branches the bull I took appeared. I saw one big brow tine on the right side that looked like the nice 5 point I had messed up on. So, I drew back, took aim and sent the arrow into and through the bull. He went 20 yards and piled up. When he turned to run I realized my mistake and a gloom set in.

Now I know some will say "The size of the rack doesn't matter" or "You can't eat the antlers" but this bull is still giving me a grief feeling that I cannot shake. I feel bad I think for taking such a young bull but I am not sure how I am supposed to feel. Have any of you ever had a similar experience? I've shot close to 10 elk and the same if not more deer and I have never had this feeling.

Anywho, I have a whole bunch of meat again this year and I can concentrate on a deer for the rest of the season. Once this feeling leaves me.

Sorry for the feeling of not connecting on the bull you thought it was. Congrats on the meat though.

Congrats on your hitting streak...I've passed on some thinking I'd see better that karma bit me on the a** for.

Should be proud of any elk cow bull even a calf alot of guys don't get a elk . That bull shouldn't give you grief. Should be proud of it. At the end of the day you released the arrow that's on you not the elk .

It's a weird feeling. I am super happy to have filled the freezer again with such good eating meat but it's just not what I had planned for the season. I'm thankful to the bull that's for sure. I know it doesn't sound like it but I am. And I didn't mean to come off as ungrateful in the slightest.

LMD, you're right. I'm just having a pitty party for not paying enough attention. I am extremely proud of the bull and happy to have gotten another years worth of meat for my wife and I and the rest of my family. Time for me to get over myself and grow up, eh? Hope you all fill your tags and more importantly your freezers!

I went 7 for 7 in my early yrs of archery elk and then started getting picky and hung up on antler size. I think this was the biggest mistake I ever made. I had more fun being happy with bulls that wouldn't make the cover of any magazine than Ive had on hunts since. Enjoy the hunt and let the harvest be secondary you'll enjoy it more in the long run. The more pressure u put on yourself the less you'll enjoy the experience.

20+ years ago I did something similar on a mule deer. It was quick and I thought I was filling my doe tag as I didn't see any antlers. Upon walking up to him he had small forks that his ears obscured. I punched my buck tag and then proceed to see several nice bucks over the next few days. It's almost like they new I couldn't shoot them. Learned a lesson in patience on that trip. Like you, I was glad to have an animal but it was humbling to know what I could of had. Now I spend some time looking at and enjoying the animal before I pulled the trigger. If it's not meant to be it's not meant to be.

Congrats! I've gone 0-3 on archery elk. I was hoping this would be my year, but as it turned out I wasn't even able to make it out to the mountains this September. Man do I miss it. Good luck on the deer hunt and enjoy that delicious elk meat!

Congrats! I've gone 0-3 on archery elk. I was hoping this would be my year, but as it turned out I wasn't even able to make it out to the mountains this September. Man do I miss it. Good luck on the deer hunt and enjoy that delicious elk meat!

Oh man that sucks you weren't able to make it out! I am spoiled where I live and honestly take it for granted some times.

I'm 0-8 on archery elk because of antlers. I would get giants on trail camera and hold out for them, passing up legal 4 points and raghorns and small 6x's. The last couple days of the season when I decided I'd shoot anything legal comes around and I never saw another elk. That happened for 8 years. So, I am without a bull since moving out west. The way I see it, any bull is a blessing and getting one with a bow is icing on the cake. Don't get hung up on horns. You have amazing meat, a great hunt, and an amazing adventure that many people will never understand or experience, and you accomplished something that thousands of hunters try and fail every year to do. Your trophy isn't in his antlers, it was in your experience and meat in the freezer to feed your family. Don't be upset, dude....

Last edited:
Thank you Cushman, I agree with everything you've said. Now that I've filled my tag I want to help everyone I can get an elk. I wish I could help you get one and No Wiser and everyone else that hasn't gotten one yet. I'm not expert but somehow have been in the right place at the right one quite a bit.

I'm not trying to be rude in any way, and apologize in advance if it comes across that way. I think you need to assess your perspectives and expectations about hunting. I've never once regretted killing an animal, nor been disappointed in them. However, I know exactly what I want out of a hunt.

You'd be better served by laughing about it than being disappointed.

Well, I did it again with my bow over the weekend! My fourth archery elk in four years all within a mile of each other. As happy as I am to have the meat and for the great experience packing it out with both my parents there, I am still having an internal conundrum. The bull I shot was not the bull I though it was.... He was young, legal, but young.

Now I know some will say "The size of the rack doesn't matter" or "You can't eat the antlers" but this bull is still giving me a grief feeling that I cannot shake. I feel bad I think for taking such a young bull but I am not sure how I am supposed to feel. Have any of you ever had a similar experience? I've shot close to 10 elk and the same if not more deer and I have never had this feeling.

Anywho, I have a whole bunch of meat again this year and I can concentrate on a deer for the rest of the season. Once this feeling leaves me.

Sounds like you have a lot to be thankful for on this hunt. Being successful several years in a row on any elk is a feat in and of itself and something one should be thankful for.
Having the memories of sharing the experience with your parents will mean more to you in the future than the two tines of antler you would have had, had you shot the larger bull by yourself on a later hunt.
The quickest way to get out of your "feeling of grief" is to concentrate on these two points. Congrates on a nice bull and good luck on your upcoming deer hunt.

I'm not trying to be rude in any way, and apologize in advance if it comes across that way. I think you need to assess your perspectives and expectations about hunting. I've never once regretted killing an animal, nor been disappointed in them. However, I know exactly what I want out of a hunt.

You'd be better served by laughing about it than being disappointed.

No offense taken I see exactly how it comes across to others. It's not about the size of the antlers my bull had it's about how young he was. I really don't know why I had that feeling. It's the weirdest thing I've experienced hunting wise. I actually didn't even bring the head and antlers out yet, it was 1:00 in the morning on my second trip and I was just too tired to go back in the 2.5 miles just for the antlers because it wasn't about them to begin with.

I have done it one whitetails a few times. I had one come in chasing a doe 4 times and passed him 3 and the fourth time I killed him. I also killed a 8 point on the last day that was a little smaller than I thought. I have also shot a few small bucks and have been very happy with them.

I have also passed up some really nice deer to not kill at the end of the year. Last year was the first buck I have killed with a bow in 4 years and I pass up a lot of opportunities. My goal was to kill a deer above 150 even though my best was in the low 120's. I passed up a lot of 125 to 130" deer to do it. Funny thing is last year I killed this guy on my second hunt and I only had to pass up one buck. I relaxed a little on myself last year because I had put enough pressure on myself that I was ruining it. I don't have expectations this year. If a really nice 8 point came in with some nice long brow tines he will get shot, he doesn't have to be that big.

You have to hunt for your own reasons and own goals. I get where you are coming from and I get that others find it really hard to kill an elk with a bow.

Here he is. Also for the second year in a row I had to quarter him up by myself! This year instead of rain it was 8" of snow I was doing it in.

Attachments

• IMG_0930.jpg
    IMG_0930.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 731
Funny. You sound like a hit man that's killed the wrong mark.

Reminds me of Big Audio Dynamite - Dial a Hitman

I'm sure you'll feel better in short order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back