.300 WSM vs. .280 Ackley Improved

Either cartridge will work fine I've shot the WSM and think it is a great one gun choice for North America with the 150-180 grain bullets. I love my 7mm RM (what the AI is trying to be) but would go with the 30 caliber using a 165 Barnes TTSX and be good for everything out to 500 without a worry.

I also love my 280AI. I shoot a 145 Barnes LRX at about 3050 fps. Recoil is extremely manageable, accuracy is just a hair under 1 MOA, and terminal performance is outstanding.

I have both in a Rem. 700 and each performs well for what I require of them to do. The 280AI is a Sendero 25-06 that I had a PacNor bbl., 26", 280AI installed. The 300WSM is in the SS, SPS configuration that I pillar bedded and glass bedded the action. Both have Vais brakes and Jewel triggers. Both perform very well, shoot minute of angle, as long as I do my part. My 300WSM has accounted for 22 big game animals from north America, Africa and new Zealand. My 280AI has taken a few deer and a scimitar horned oryx in TX. I hand load for each rifle. Each would be a good choice for big game. MTG

I just had a .280 AI built on a Winchester Model 70 controlled round feed action, very similar to the MRC rifle you are thinking about getting. I love that thing and am a huge fan of the .280 AI and the .280 Remington. I loaded up some Nosler 140 gr. Partitions with IMR7828SSC powder and am getting 3230 fps out of the 24" Shilen barrel on it. I shot a big old cow elk at 450 yards , one shot and she went about 30 feet and tipped over. A whitetail buck at 200 yards never took a step.

That being said, the 300 WSM is a great cartridge and an accurate one as well. My son has one in a Winchester Model 70 EWSS. It is a great cartridge and combination. Tough choice between those two but I would go with the .280 AI..

I have a .300 WSM in a Kimber Montana. So it is a very light rifle. The recoil is not like my .300 win mag that I used to have. It is a fast sharp kick..if that makes sense?? It is not bad at all in my opinion and I can get back on target quickly. I have also considered the .280 AI my good friend has both and loves them both. They are his go to guns. I use the .300 WSM for elk and occasionally deer.

I have two .300 WSMs. One is pushing the Berger 215 Berger at 2800 FPS out of a 24" barrel. I am not recoil sensitive, but most of my hunting rifles have a muzzle brake. The felt recoil of my .300 WSM is similar to .308 Win. I understand it is not for everybody, but it is the best way to mitigate felt recoil and muzzle rise ... been using them since 2003.

My vote is 280ai. If I was going with a short mag I'd go with one of the 7s. Depending on purpose, my 6.5 prc is growing on me too.

I’d vote for the 280AI but it’s 100% subjective. Either will work for you I believe though you’ll have a bit more energy on target inside 400 yds or so with the 30 caliber option and the 280AI would likely over take it at greater distances which may not matter to you effectively. Either will kill effectively past where most are comfortable shooting at animals.

I just bought a Ruger Hawkeye African in 280AI last month and picked it up at the beginning of this month. I’ve been watching ammo availability of this caliber and it always seems to be available near where I live. I also picked up a set of reloading does though components are more scarce the last few months due to the normalized “4 year fear.” I don’t anticipate super long shots out East but I did want something with more “oomph” when wanted and a common caliber to my 7mm-08 to reduce the number of components... and if I decide I want/need something bigger and heavier then I’d probably look at something in the 33-37 caliber range like a 375 H&H or a 9.3x62 personally.

If you’re comfortable with a longer action, perhaps the 300WM is a better choice than the 300WSM if you think you’ll want to use heavier bullets... but then that also introduces the 300PRC into the mix so nevermind.

Thanks, as it sits it's just a tad under 8 lbs. which is about perfect for me.
That's about where my 7 brockelmash weighs in...it's ruined me for mountain carry. I'm admittedly fascinated with .284 AI but that circumference itch is scratched, for now anyway.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back