3 Wyoming Lopes

ida homer

This year I was lucky enough to have my buddy and his dad share their points with me so we could go to Wyoming to hunt antelope. None of us have ever drawn a lope tag anywhere before, so we figured this year we might as well try to cash in their points and go hunt a different state for the first time. Turned out we drew a unit in the SW part of the state with 2.8 points each. We hunted Oct 11th-14th and didn't see another hunter.

Some of you have said it best, it's too much fun than should be legal to have in 4 days. Some highlights included me missing 2 bucks, one at 110 yards (gun malfunction) :) We saw 11 separate moose, a couple were nice bulls, and one of which was even down in the sage flats close to the highway. Weird to see all of those moose out in the open sage like that, the areas we see them in in Idaho seem to be thick, nasty or both.

Justin's dead buck is where he is pointing, and his dad is on the right edge of the picture quartering his (too small to see). 7500 feet.
IMG_0013.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The first 2 days we didn't see the numbers we were quite expecting, we actually had to try, nothing wrong with that. They both shot theirs basically on top of the mountain. Me with Justin's buck.

Mile and a half pack out, what happened to shooting off the hood of the truck!!

Judging antelope was very difficult for us, I was clueless as to what was big and what wasn't. I learned a lot, but we just shot whatever looked decent and had a blast doing it.

I ended up killing mine from the road an hour before we had to pack up and head back to Idaho. I legitimately thought I was going home without a lope, with only my self to blame for not having my rifle ready.

His dad's we think is a sweet buck. The taxi said it should go somewhere in the 70's. I think it measured out to right around 16".

We were very surprised at the lack of deer and elk in our unit. There were a few, but just in the creek bottoms on private. None of us had tags for either. I'm sure we were just looking in the wrong places. Next time we are able to draw we will hunt further south in the unit, as that seemed to be where the real concentrations of animals were. Oh well, thanks Wyoming!

Looks like you had a lot of fun and connected on some nice bucks. Congrates.

Nice hunt guys looks like a blast. I dream of the day I have enough points to draw an Az lope tag.

Different hunts fit guys in different ways. A Wyoming antelope hunt always fits me perfect. Nice job out there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fossil Ridge
Back