3.0 duramax

Answering my own question.

My buddy just got one. Rode in it today. He says it gets incredible gas mileage and great power for towing ( 2-SXS).

Really quiet. He got the upper end model and for a Chevy its nice inside. I have a 2020 Silverado and its way nicer than mine.

Friend of mine loves hers. She tows a decent size camp trailer with and either an atv or two motorcycles in the bed.

Was just elk hunting with a guy who had one. i was impressed, the milage seemed awesome. When going 65 and under he was getting 29.7, the entire trip was over 24. After riding and driving it i found myself looking at them as well.

I had the 2.8 for a while. It was a sweet engine with awesome torque and quite efficient. Had a bunch of issues with the DEF system at about 60k. Took the dealer a month or so to figure out. The new diesels are great, but I just worry about all the emissions stuff that is required. I'd check out reviews from TFL truck on Youtube.

I had the 2.8 for a while. It was a sweet engine with awesome torque and quite efficient. Had a bunch of issues with the DEF system at about 60k. Took the dealer a month or so to figure out. The new diesels are great, but I just worry about all the emissions stuff that is required. I'd check out reviews from TFL truck on Youtube.
Buddy of mine has been waiting months to get his 3/4 ton duramax into the dealer for a DEF issue. Problem popped up this spring but dealer only has limited diesel mechanics so he got up on the list and told to drive it and hope for the best until his appointment

How did yours do on muddy roads and on any long distance highway trips?

Black cows on open range are scary af.
I almost hit one in a blizzard on an oil and gas road. Scared the crap out of us. No cell service and a nasty nasty blizzard in Wyoming. Had that truck been out of commission it would of been life or death waiting to be rescued.

Buddy of mine has been waiting months to get his 3/4 ton duramax into the dealer for a DEF issue. Problem popped up this spring but dealer only has limited diesel mechanics so he got up on the list and told to drive it and hope for the best until his appointment

How did yours do on muddy roads and on any long distance highway trips?
That's frustrating. If I recall correctly, my dealer ordered a handful of different parts to try to before figuring it out. It really did great offroad and on the highway. All that low end torque made it crawl over rocks and through mud well without a lot of throttle input. Highway was solid, but it was definitely slow. Passing anyone above 55 was a chore.

I wanted a half ton diesel so bad and researched all of them, made spreadsheets etc. Basically all the great things about it will be erased if you own it long enough due to expensive and often long DEF repairs and issues. You might try deleting, but then your relying on non factory software and settings that limit who will repair it and its reliability.

I realize this thread is a little old but figured I'd offer my opinion. I bought one in late August of 2023, but it's a 2024 model. It now has about 8k miles on it. No issues. I love the truck, it really was a no brainer. It was actually 2k cheaper than the 5.3L V8. I previously owned a GMC sierra 1500 5.3L and this does amazingly better on fuel economy. I've averaged over 30mpg on trips unloaded. It's unbelievable for a truck. I tow a 22ft Key West with it with no issues. The fuel economy isn't great when towing but considering I'm not towing way more than I am it doesn't concern me. It absolutely sips DEF unless it's under strain (towing). I used to own a F250 7.3L and trust me when I say I can not even tell I'm in a diesel in this new truck. Super quiet and smooth. I think the only sacrifice you're potentially making compared to a V8 is horsepower, but it has plenty of pep for me. Time will tell with any issues but so far I've been very impressed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back