280AI Kimber or Savage

Not to hijack the thread, but as a side question: I understand the 280 Rem is SAAMI spec'ed as 60K psi as a Max chamber pressure whereas the 280 AI is 65K - like the .270. Areny idea why the 280 Rem has a lower max pressure? I wouldn't think the case design would be enough to account for that, but that's about all it could be.

Primarily because it was made earlier.

As mentioned above, the firearm it was first brought out in is the real kicker, but which firearm it was intended for, and how strong that firearm was, has a lot to do with time frame.

For the OP, obviously if money is a factor, the Savage deserves consideration, but if I could afford a Kimber, a Savage wouldn’t even be on my radar.

The whole reason to go Ackley Improved is the velocity gain over the standard cartridge.
So why in the world would i want to go with a shorter barrel?
Kinda like the Mossberg Patriot in 7mm Rem Mag with a 22" barrel...
I had no interest in the Mossberg Patriot 7mm RM with a 22" barrel, but the new Cerakote Patriot with a 24" barrel with the 7mm RM is kind of drawing my attention, but then so is the Weatherby Vanguard with Badland Burns Camo and a 26" barrel. With my recent paycut (thanks COVID-19) the price point of the Mossberg is starting to appeal to me

You’ll still gain a decent amount over the standard. Almost all barrel lengths are not “optimal”, especially for the big champagne bottle cartridges. To wring every drop of speed out of a 6.5-300 Weatherby, you’d probably need a 50” barrel (I don’t know, and I have no idea how long, maybe longer?)

I have a .264 Win Mag with a 28” barrel, IMO the extra 2” is not worth it, 26” would’ve been fine.
Mine has a 24... I don’t think I would opt for a 26 given a chance.

Not to hijack the thread, but as a side question: I understand the 280 Rem is SAAMI spec'ed as 60K psi as a Max chamber pressure whereas the 280 AI is 65K - like the .270. Areny idea why the 280 Rem has a lower max pressure? I wouldn't think the case design would be enough to account for that, but that's about all it could be.

You are correct.

Interestingly , SAAMI spec for 280 AI says 140 grain bullet, while 280 Rem says 165 grain bullet. That's an odd difference.

Back