Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

.280 Ackley Improved

The way I see it most of the guys shooting a 280 are reloading anyway so you may as well just go with the akly and get a little more out of it.

[

Not to hijack this discussion, but my bro has a .338 - 06 AI on a 700 action that won't feed.

I have a standard .280 that does everything I need on deer and elk. I like the fact that it doesn't ruin as much meat as my .257 did.

BTW, I've seen a more than few AI rifles with feeding issues, I own two of them currently. A pre64 M70 in 338-06AI and a FN 35 Brown/Whelen (shoulder moved out and same shoulder angle as AI). Both have been worked after they were 'wroked' on, and neither feed as well as a standard rifle and they never will. I don't expect them to feed like a 375H&H, but they're the roughest feeding rifles I own out of about 15. The sharp angle catches on the feed ramp or on the leading edge of the chamber, or both. No two cycles are exactly the same... I'll get 10 that feed perfect then the 11th one will hang up a bit. They'll usually still make it in the 'hole' if you hit it hard enough. A push feed would probalby fair a little better I imagine, and if I do another it will be a push feed.

AI's are cool, but thats about it. a 280AI is not a 7mag, is not a 7RUM, etc.[/QUOTE]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skywagon
Back