28 Nolser vs RUM....opines sought

noharleyyet

Here's the thing...have a 7 RUM Ultra that, to be truthful, has never achieved geek accuracy and it seems to be getting worse. I've not accurately counted range rounds but it's a lot..purchased shortly after caliber roll out. I suspect throat issues. It's been Mickey'd and Kampfeld'd but not bedded. It's too nice of a rifle to give up on and I won't sell it if not up to snuff performance wise.

Been eyeballing the fine services of Hill Country Rifle in New Braunfels for a deluxe rebarrel & accurize. Thinking HT's new testosterone SevenNos

What say ye gurus?

Last edited:
I've seen what that other 7 you have will do. Keep it RUM, go .30 or .338. mtmuley

I'm in the process of having a 28 nosler built. I believe to get the most benefit out of the 28 nosler you need to have it chambered using a custom reamer with a longer throat to be able to utilize as much of the case as possible with the heavy for caliber bullets. I am planning on using the 195 Berger's at around 3050-3100 FPS. I ended up sacrificing one of the custom 7mm R.E.M. I had done (3 custom 7mm R.E.M. was a little overboard). The 28 nosler is close to 7mm RUM but not quite there. I personally like the nosler better because you don't have to use as much powder which should help in a little less recoil and still be able to get good velocities with a 25"-26" compared to needing a longer barrel to utilize the charge of the RUM. I do like the nosler brass a lot even if it is pricey.
Finished scoped rifle combo should be 9.25-9.5lbs.

I will say if you want to keep it a RUM do like mtmuley says and go to the 300 or 338. I have seen some pretty impressive groups out of 300 RUMs and think they are inherently more accurate than the 7mm RUM at least that is what we have seen.

Have you checked for copper fouling? I've brought several rifles back to life with Sweet's 7.62. It is ammonia based so ventilation is nice. I've recently found Enviroclean FA works well without the stink. Its made by Ogre Manufacturing in Milwaukee. After I get the copper out I like to polish the bore with JB compound. GJ

Have you tried different bullet weights at different seating depths? If memory serves me right RUMs and most high capacity magnums utilize a good gap between lands and bullet. Obviously greater the gap when using lighter bullets as they a shorter. I only know a few who shoot 7rums and they all shoot heavy for caliber rounds and find them to be very picky at times.

Or....... Rebarrel said RUM, still staying 7mm in the RUM, and throat for the 195 grain Berger Elite Hunter. But a .30 would be cool. mtmuley

Have you tried different bullet weights at different seating depths? If memory serves me right RUMs and most high capacity magnums utilize a good gap between lands and bullet. Obviously greater the gap when using lighter bullets as they a shorter. I only know a few who shoot 7rums and they all shoot heavy for caliber rounds and find them to be very picky at times.

Oh yea, tried quite a few from 140 gr & up of various construct, OAL, powders...hence the round count. Currently 180 Berger VLD. Replaced trigger, have a new non ISS firing pin assembly on the way. Gonna bore scope and measure the throat to confirm barrel degradation suspicion. It also has a small dent on the interior concentric of the crown...factor?

GJ...yes have checked for fouling.

MtMuley....you might be on to something. Heavies out of a 300 RUM sounds interesting.

Check out what the 215 and 230 Berger can do. LRH is a good source. 215's are on my to do list. Quackillr gave me data. mtmuley

I'd stay 7mm and rebarrel. If you are well stocked on brass, stay RUM. If low, then consider the Nosler. They are more alike than different. The rebarrel price is a wash. Going NOS may require a bit of work for feeding (as read elsewhere).

I sold my 300 run and bought a 28 nosler, so far I am not regretting it. Extremely accurate, quite a bit less recoil and almost the same as my 300 was with less powder. Can't say about a 7mm rum but I don't think you would regret switching to 28 nosler.

I spoke with a local smith on Friday about a future build, its going to be a Nosler 28. The last one he built would push the 195gr bergers to 3200fps, but he could only get 2 reloads per brass and then they were toast. But he said if he slowed the bullet down to 3050fps he could get 7 reloads per brass.
I plan on keeping my 300 RUM.

It also has a small dent on the interior concentric of the crown...factor?

Could be - well worth a cheap try. A bullet has to enter or exit straight before ultimate accuracy can be achieved.
When you get it bore scoped I'd check for any carbon fouling also.

Personally I gave up on all overbore calibers many replacement barrels ago. Just got too expensive and time consuming. All overbores are fun to talk and brag about though - been there, done that.

All we know is it's a 7 RUM that doesn't shoot to your expectations which are you didn't say what that is. MOA or less/ greater. Seems as though you have only tried the lighter bullets, don't know for sure. You don't suggest a round count? Crown dent could be problem also. Is it a factory or custom gun to start with? Unless you measured the throat before you fired it, measuring now wouldn't tell you much. Borescoping it will tell you what is there or not(carbon,copper or rifling) but not tell you if it will shoot. I have a 7mm Mag that has a lot of throat erosion and fire cracking 7" up the barrel that still shoots 1" at 100yds with 3 shots. No better though. With over 18,000 posts though I suspect you know all of this already but just my two cents.

Back