27 Nosler , it's official!

Thank god we live in a country with all these options and opportunities. See there are radicals who think us guys don't NEED another caliber or another gun.

What I always worry about is brass availability if the latest bro cartridges are a short lived flop.

I'm also a big fan of lower priced reloading components, doubtful that 270 Nosler is going to be less expensive than 270 Winchester.

But, I do agree, having options isn't a bad thing.

What I always worry about is brass availability if the latest bro cartridges are a short lived flop.

I'm also a big fan of lower priced reloading components, doubtful that 270 Nosler is going to be less expensive than 270 Winchester.

But, I do agree, having options isn't a bad thing.
I hear that brass thing all the time and it sounds good to the ear but seriously what caliber can't we get brass for? Powder is tuff to find certain types. Have have a 7mm Dakota when I had it built i bought 200 cases, I figured when they can't be reloaded anymore the barrel will be shot out or close to it.
I do know if we lined up a bunch of deer or elk at 100 or 200 or 300 yards it totaly doesn't matter what caliber we shoot them with. Its more of a what you wanna carry or what you like deal.
The average guy doesn't shoot that much that costs matter and the average guy that shoots all the time is so into shooting he doesn't care what it costs

I just saw a post on IG where someone asked Nosler Inc. what the barrel life was like...Nosler said they haven't shot out a barrel yet, but they figure 1200-1300. Mayyyybe should've spent a little more time on R&D before bringing to market? :D

I just saw a post on IG where someone asked Nosler Inc. what the barrel life was like...Nosler said they haven't shot out a barrel yet, but they figure 1200-1300. Mayyyybe should've spent a little more time on R&D before bringing to market? :D
If you want to shoot big cased magnums, barrel life should be the least of your worries. mtmuley

What bullet and barrel length? mtmuley

MtMuley and others sorry for the delayed response. Been on the east coast since early Monday and just got back. I wanted to pull all my data so I could give it to you 100% honestly.

First off. I DID NOT hit 3200 with the 150's ( I did hit 3300 with the 130's though). As you will see in the below sheet, 3156 was the top FPS I achieved while running a flat spot test. I apologize for misleading you gents with my original statement. I quite possible could have been thinking of the 130's.

DISCLAIMER: Please do not replicate without running quickload for your h2o capacity and please please please be careful. I personally took magnifying glasses with me and inspected the cartridge case face for any signs of pressure.

Rifle: Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless with 24" factory barrel.
RL26
Fed 210 primer
Remington Brass ( fired and resized)
150 gr Nosler ABLR
Weather: 80 degrees sunny
Elevation: about 700 feet ( 50 miles west of Chicago)
Magneto Speed used for all speed recordings

Hit my first flat spot at around 59.2-59.6 at 3089 FPS
Second flat spot around 60.6 - 61.2 for an avg of 3150 for 4 shots

IMG_2595.JPG

I went back the next week and loaded 6 each 59.4, and 60.6. Unfortunately I had the same results with the ABLR that I have had for years. One group would be downright excellent, then the next would open up. I performed these group testings by shooting a shot, letting the rifle cool for 15 minutes, then shooting again. I have not been able to get back to the range to play with OAL. I have plenty of ABLR's to try it with.

Now that I can try this again with the Accubond, I am really excited to see what can be accomplished.

Here is the 130's. These I never went back and accuracy tested. I need to do that as well.

IMG_2596.JPG

Now after reading the press info on the 27Nosler, it seems they are using a 26" barrel. I know of (2) other individuals who have ran the same ladder tests out of their own 270wins, both with 22" featherweights and they hit the exact same speeds that Mr Barness was able to achieve of around 3040-3050.

I would think a 26" barrelled 270win could hit 3200 fps. Is that as fast as a 26" barrelled 27Nosler? No. But for a 95 year old chambering that ain't bad.

If you want to shoot big cased magnums, barrel life should be the least of your worries. mtmuley
Absolutely correct. If you decide that you want to shoot the whiz bang mega blasters, then you should already know what you are getting into and don't care. Generally, most of those types of rifles are not shot too much anyway. They are shot to work up a load to go hunting and after that, may not see forty rounds a year.

How many rounds do you figure that you put through your big rifles in a year?

MtMuley and others sorry for the delayed response. Been on the east coast since early Monday and just got back. I wanted to pull all my data so I could give it to you 100% honestly.

First off. I DID NOT hit 3200 with the 150's ( I did hit 3300 with the 130's though). As you will see in the below sheet, 3156 was the top FPS I achieved while running a flat spot test. I apologize for misleading you gents with my original statement. I quite possible could have been thinking of the 130's.

DISCLAIMER: Please do not replicate without running quickload for your h2o capacity and please please please be careful. I personally took magnifying glasses with me and inspected the cartridge case face for any signs of pressure.

Rifle: Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless with 24" factory barrel.
RL26
Fed 210 primer
Remington Brass ( fired and resized)
150 gr Nosler ABLR
Weather: 80 degrees sunny
Elevation: about 700 feet ( 50 miles west of Chicago)
Magneto Speed used for all speed recordings

Hit my first flat spot at around 59.2-59.6 at 3089 FPS
Second flat spot around 60.6 - 61.2 for an avg of 3150 for 4 shots

View attachment 126226

I went back the next week and loaded 6 each 59.4, and 60.6. Unfortunately I had the same results with the ABLR that I have had for years. One group would be downright excellent, then the next would open up. I performed these group testings by shooting a shot, letting the rifle cool for 15 minutes, then shooting again. I have not been able to get back to the range to play with OAL. I have plenty of ABLR's to try it with.

Now that I can try this again with the Accubond, I am really excited to see what can be accomplished.

Here is the 130's. These I never went back and accuracy tested. I need to do that as well.

View attachment 126229

Now after reading the press info on the 27Nosler, it seems they are using a 26" barrel. I know of (2) other individuals who have ran the same ladder tests out of their own 270wins, both with 22" featherweights and they hit the exact same speeds that Mr Barness was able to achieve of around 3040-3050.

I would think a 26" barrelled 270win could hit 3200 fps. Is that as fast as a 26" barrelled 27Nosler? No. But for a 95 year old chambering that ain't bad.

Another important note.

Some barrels can be 100 fps or more faster than others...

On top of that after about 150 rounds most barrels see a good velocity increase.

If you want to stretch it, by 1939 we had the 8x68s to cover any magnum nuts.

But really by 1910 we had 7x57, 9.3x62 and 30-06 everything since then has just been marketing.

I just left the Nosler website, and it's official, they are offering 2 rifles in their newest caliber and 2 loads of ammunition. The M48 Mountain Carbon rifle and the Long Range Carbon. Both with a 1:8.5" twist. Also the initial factory loads are 150gr. Accubond and 165gr. ABLR. So far from what Nosler has released, the newest 270 outperforms the 270Win,(obviously), the 270WSM and the 270WBY, by some pretty decent margins. I realize the .277 isn't everyone's favorite caliber, but it is mine, and I've harvested a lot of game with my rifle. Definitely going to be purchasing a rifle in this caliber.
The Nosler isn’t out performing the 270 WBY by a decent margin. Using the numbers Nosler sent me, it’s basically a mirror image. The Nosler might be a better way to launch a .277 bullet, but Roy was getting this type performance years ago.

At 1000 yards the bullet's gonna strike with more energy than a .44 magnum, point blank. Yeah, I think you can kill him.

Think that depends on what you call barrel life. Is a barrel that shoot 1/2" groups a worn out barrel? How about 1" groups? My 30-06 has a barrel that is pitted so bad I'm amazed it shoot's withing 12" at 50 yds but it still hangs in about 1 1/4" at 100yds. It's a hunting rifle and I sure don't call it worn out. Years ago in Montana a friend had a 264 win mag that was a real shooter. When it opened to just under an inch, he called it worn out and sold it!

The Nosler isn’t out performing the 270 WBY by a decent margin. Using the numbers Nosler sent me, it’s basically a mirror image. The Nosler might be a better way to launch a .277 bullet, but Roy was getting this type performance years ago.
Having held both cases side by side it seems like the Nosler has quite a bit more capacity. IMO the Weatherby will kill things just as well but you should be able to stuff more powder and slightly longer bullets in the Nos. The Nosler action is a lot lighter than the Wby so if you were wanting to shave some weight and run the Proof carbon fiber barrel then Nos is your gun.
Nothing wrong with having a cool new toy!

Nosler really should have built their action to a more useable length especially for the Nosler Cartridges. 3.4” for a magnum action is way to short IMO.
The 27Nosler properly setup and throated will outrun the 270wby by a good margin.

Back