.257 Wthby - success!

Calif. Hunter

It seems my Vanguard likes 71 gr of RL-22 under a 100 gr Barnes TSX, ignited by a Federal Gold Medal mag primer. Five shot groups well under an inch and 3 shots in each group were under a half-inch...3 different attempts. IMR-4350 and H-4831 were good - 3 shots under an inch - but the RL-22 load just seemed to work every time.

Maybe I'll fine-tune it a bit by trying slight charge variations and I'll have to run it over my chronograph to see how fast it's flying! It should be over 3500 FPS.... :eek:

As a matter of fact, yes - I like one-hole groups like this one from my .358 Win!

100_1188.sized.jpg

CH, Try 69.5 gr. of IMR 7828 with a FED 215 primer and a 120 partition bullet. I've had great success with that load using WBY brass in several rifles.

:cool:

Cali, you getting rid of that one?
let me know if you do.

No, JB - I only sell one Vanguard to a customer, and you got the .270 WSM. Let me know how it shoots for you.

Bambistew - my .358 is an MRC 1999 barreled action (stainless) with a 21-inch barrel, bedded and stocked by Serengeti Stockworks. I am presently having a MacMillan "Edge" lightweight stock bedded with it to lighten the rifle up a bit...the laminated stock and MRC action are not lightweights! I am thinking about using the .358 in Africa next year for plains game...

100_1161.sized.jpg

Calif.Hunter, I also owned a .257 Wby (Mark 5 Accumark-not a Vanguard) and it was hands down the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. I know for a fact that it shot better than I was capable of shooting -half inch groups all day long with cloverleafing holes. Only one problem -it weighed 15+ lbs and I have a torn rotator/shoulder problem which has never been repaired, so I sold it.
My brother has its lefthanded twin and is just as accurate. Both rifles liked Hornady 117gr Interlocks over IMR 7848. I'm forgetting what the powder weight was (66-67grs ?). I did send one over a Crono screen once at 3450 or so feet per second. Dave

No, JB - I only sell one Vanguard to a customer

cali, please dont refer to me as "customer".....its sounds dirty when you say it, i wouldnt want someone to get the wrong impression. ;)

The trigger is fine - it's adjustable. I am lucky in that my brother is a gunsmith in a Weatherby-approved shop, so he adjusted the trigger for me to a crisp 3-pounds. Sometimes, it can be difficult to get all the creep out of a Howa/Vanguard trigger...but it can be done with enough patience. I don't like too light a trigger on a big game rifle.

The trigger on my Vanguard was terrible! I switched it out for a timney from midway, what a difference! No creep,Three position safety. Easy one screw installation hump

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back