Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

257 Roberts ammunition

freu1chr

I have a Winchester model 70 Pre64 257 roberts. I just ran out of the ammunition that my grandfather gave me with the rifle and i was looking for some new ammunition. I found Hornady superformance at my local scheels bout its 257 rob +P. Just wondering if you guys know if it would be safe or not to shoot through that rifle. Kind of a stupid question but don’t want to screw up a family heirloom.

I have a Winchester model 70 Pre64 257 roberts. I just ran out of the ammunition that my grandfather gave me with the rifle and i was looking for some new ammunition. I found Hornady superformance at my local scheels bout its 257 rob +P. Just wondering if you guys know if it would be safe or not to shoot through that rifle. Kind of a stupid question but don’t want to screw up a family heirloom.
I wouldn't, looks like the "+P" allows for additional pressure which could cause serious issues:

One of the common improvements is called the .257 Roberts(+P) which has a SAAMI maximum pressure limit of 58,000 PSI compared to the 54,000 PSI listed for the standard .257 Roberts.[8]

I have a 257 Roberts Win super grade model 70 (circa 1949) and a Featherweight 257 on a 1950's era model 70 that someone modified to Ackley Improved (added a little case capacity with 40 degree shoulder) and I have never had any issues with either shooting loads that are in the 58-60,000 psi range. The main concern by SAAMI is with a number of older Springfield (and a few very early mauser) actions that were converted to the 257 Roberts with the Springfield single lug action very weak by comparison, probably not an issue with a model 70 or with either the older 30 Express Remington or Mauser 98. Having lived near New Haven before moving west I was lucky enough to acquire a number of pre 64 model 70 rifles and actions and have built a number of rifles using them in calibers from 257 Weatherby, 7 mag, 338 win mag, 25-06, 6.5 -284, including a 308 Norma mag on a prewar Model 70, and never had any issues with action strength at the working pressures in the new SAAMI range for +P Bob ammo. The Super grade from the Winchester custom shop is worth about $2500 and I have never worried about testing my max pressure handloads in it.

My favorite load is an 85 gr Nosier ballistic tip comes out of the standard 257 at 3200fps or the improved at 3450fps (both shoot under 3/4 inch for 5 shots and would be great on antelope) best powders were H4831 or RL 19. What ever you do DO NOT RE-CHAMBER OR REFINISH or even add a recoil pad as it kills collector value, the 257 Roberts is one of the hard to find pre 64's and is worth a lot (usually 2-3X similar condition/model rifle in common 308 or 270). I wound up with the 257 Improved 30 years ago at an auction when no one wanted it being a wildcat, paid just for the action ($350), those were the days!. On a whim decided to shoot it before it was taken apart to build a 6mm-284, after shooting some standard ammo to reform cases when I saw the 1 inch 10 shot group I just kept it and have shot a bunch of deer and coyotes with it. I still have several Winchester stocks and barrels from take offs that i would part with if anyone needs to replace a broken stock or barrel. I would just order some ammo direct from Nosier custom loading with the 85gr ballistic tip if you don't reload.

My guess is .257 pressures are similar to .280 Remington in that both were also offered in pump guns. As such, the specs were kept conservative to accommodate these rifles.

It’s the same action used for cartridges like .243, 6.5x55,.270 etc., I have a hard time believing it can’t handle the +P ammunition.

Last edited by a moderator:
good point on the pump and semi auto chamberings as they will be weaker than multi lug bolt actions. not in the same category as the 5.56 vs .223 category where pressures can really jump when 5.56 is shot in a .223, almost a proof load.

You will have no problem shooting the +p ammunition in your model 70. The Roberts was hobbled to a lower pressure due to the abundance of builds from Mauser and Arisaka actions

My grandma, who would be around 100 now, hunted all over the U.S. and Canada with her trusty .257 Roberts.

Drug addict cousin stole all her guns (amongst other things) and sold them for pennies. All I have is a couple loose .257 rounds and some antlers from decades ago....

Long way of saying I wouldn't risk it.

My dad just passed down a Remington 722 .257 Robert's to my 20 yr old son. Serial number indicates it was made in 1948. I believe that's maybe the first year the 722 was made. This rifle either belonged to my grandfather or great grandfather. I don't remember my dad ever shooting it in my 41 years, so prolly been 45+ years since it's been shot. This thread I found interesting since the only ammo that I have found is a box of Winchester 117 gr Power Point +P at a gun show. I'm new at this, so I can't tell if they are reloads or factory loads. I'm obviously going to go the safe route and not shoot these, but looks like there's enough history buffs and gun knowledge to indicate +P should be safe to shoot out of this gun, but I could have understood that wrong.

Ok....so after I did some personal research, I found that the month and year of manufacturing is letters stamped on to the left side of the barrel. My 19 yr old works at Bass Pro and one of his co-workers didn't know what he was talking about apparently. O WW is July of 1950. Still pretty old, although, it's always nice to have a first year model of anything. I did have an issue removing the bolt. The button in front of the trigger was stiff and wasn't able to press it in. YouTube is the best thing ever and found a video of where I could oil to free it up. Yep....it worked. Now later this week I'll be taking apart the bolt for inspection, cleaning, and lube. I also saw on Wikipedia that the 721 and 722 had the strongest bolts ever made. Anyone have thoughts or input on that?

My 1951 Model 70 257 Roberts will shot any reasonably load. I try not to load over 58,000 PSI from
what Quickload says. I have found it likes 115gr Partitions with RL23, MRP, and RL26. All at about 3100 FPS. the RL26 seems to produce the lowest pressure. RL23 and the 115gr Partition is my go to load. I have lots of Nosler seconds in 257 cal.

A nice thing about reloading is it would not take long to see if the rifle would handle the round! I would not suggest doing it with factory ammo though. I believe you should shoot ammo that is head stamped the same as the rifle. Would be interesting to see someone with a 257 Robert's +P chronograph a few rounds and see what you actually have! Anybody ever seen a 257 Robert's stamped with +P on the barrel?

I do not think they labeled 257 Roberts rifles as +P. Sines a model 70 can handle 270 Win pressures I think it is safe to load

to close to that pressure in a 257 Roberts.

They do not stamp "+P" on the firearm. Not for the 257 Roberts, that is.
And the difference between standard & +P is 2,000 psi. 54,000 vs 56,000.
Still mild by todays cartridges.

Start low and work up as always.

While i like properly headstamped cartridges, i don't always use them.
257 Roberts would be one of my key examples. All my cartridges started out as 7X57 Mauser. Run through a 257 Roberts full length sizing die, trim and done. Cheap & readily available cases!

They do not stamp "+P" on the firearm.
And the difference between standard & +P is 2,000 psi. 54,000 vs 56,000.
Still mild by todays cartridges.

Start low and work up as always.

While i like properly headstamped cartridges, i don't always use them.
257 Roberts would be one of my key examples. All my cartridges started out as 7X57 Mauser. Run through a 257 Roberts full length sizing die, trim and done. Cheap & readily available cases!

Back