Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

25 Creedmoor

Addicting

I have a Rem 700 SS SA laying one the safe. Seeing I commandeered the .243 I got for my boy, I need to build a rifle for him. NO it won’t be a 7mm-08. However, a 25-08 Aka 25 souper may be a possibility.

I already have quite a bit of 6.5 brass and think a .25 Cal would Be fun. Anyone messed with one?

Sounds interesting...

From the usual custom barrel length of 24” (1:10” twist), the . 25-08 is capable of firing 75 grain bullets at 3350fps, 87 grain bullets at 3250fps, 100 grain bullets at 3050fps and 120 grain bullets at 2800fps. For bullet performance, readers are referred to the .

Love my 25 Creedmoor. You can get headstamped 25 CM brass now, but when I did mine there was none available. It was easy to use 6.5 CM brass, but I like the idea of the headstamp matching.

Sounds interesting...

From the usual custom barrel length of 24” (1:10” twist), the . 25-08 is capable of firing 75 grain bullets at 3350fps, 87 grain bullets at 3250fps, 100 grain bullets at 3050fps and 120 grain bullets at 2800fps. For bullet performance, readers are referred to the .

I’ve been reading quite a bit on it. Hammer has a 128g HH but it needs a 1-7 twist which limits options. A 1-9 should give me plenty of options to load for it.

I started with a 25-06 and loved it. Reading about a 25 brings back good memories.

As much as the name annoys me to no end, Richard Mann did a write up a number of years ago. Created the cartridge and probably trademarked it as a 2fity-hillbilly. Obnoxious cartridge name but he did a few different articles trying to promote it.

As much as the name annoys me to no end, Richard Mann did a write up a number of years ago. Created the cartridge and probably trademarked it as a 2fity-hillbilly. Obnoxious cartridge name but he did a few different articles trying to promote it.
Obnoxious because it's 25 caliber or because it's the Creedmoor case? I'll call it a QuarterMoor if that helps. In all seriousness if you're out this way and want to shoot one, let me know. I like it when new cartridges come out, even though we don't need more options, I like options.

Is that what your using on coyotes?
It's a competition rifle, a bit heavy for much hunting. My sons shoot some matches and I like to go along when I can. I decided to get something a little different to help hide the fact that I'm not very good.;) I think the caliber would be a good varmint gun, as well as deer and pronghorn.

Obnoxious because it's 25 caliber or because it's the Creedmoor case? I'll call it a QuarterMoor if that helps. In all seriousness if you're out this way and want to shoot one, let me know. I like it when new cartridges come out, even though we don't need more options, I like options.
No, obnoxious that it was named the 2fity-hillbilly. Don’t know why it bugs me as much as it does but just a head scratcher to me. I think it’s a round that makes a lot of sense to try and breathe life into a modern, efficient quarter-bore. They always interested me, and have thought several times to rebarrel a rifle to a .25 Souper, just hard to justify with a .243 Win in the stables already. If I get out your direction, I’d consider taking you up on the offer!

So, 25CM?
Sounds like a neutered 25 Souper.
Especially in a bolt gun. In an MSR, i could see it.
Bolt, not so much.

So, 25CM?
Sounds like a neutered 25 Souper.
Especially in a bolt gun. In an MSR, i could see it.
Bolt, not so much.

I know, but when you have things already stock piled.....

I could do a 25 Souper AI as well but I’m not a fan of how short the necks get.

Paired with the 131 Blackjack bullets it’s an excellent LR cartridge target cartridge. With standard .257 hunting bullets it’s nothing special. It’s slight advantages over the 25 Souper, are the same as the 6.5 Creedmoor over the 260.

I have a Rem 700 SS SA laying one the safe. Seeing I commandeered the .243 I got for my boy, I need to build a rifle for him. NO it won’t be a 7mm-08. However, a 25-08 Aka 25 souper may be a possibility.

I already have quite a bit of 6.5 brass and think a .25 Cal would Be fun. Anyone messed with one?
Or just make it into a 257 Roberts!!!

Paired with the 131 Blackjack bullets it’s an excellent LR cartridge target cartridge. With standard .257 hunting bullets it’s nothing special. It’s slight advantages over the 25 Souper, are the same as the 6.5 Creedmoor over the 260.
That's why I suggested the Absolute Hammer. If testing holds true, a .25 AH will be worth waiting for. mtmuley

Or just make it into a 257 Roberts!!!
The 257 Roberts is an "intermediate length" cartridge.
Works well in a Mauser action.
Probably too long for a short action.

Addicting,
Yeah, i definitely get having cases laying about for it.
But if your doing the expense of barrel, reamer, go/no go gauges, dies (or barrel, smith, and dies) cases are the inexpensive part of it.

FLS,
The only advantage the 6.5CM has over the 260 is it fits in within magazine length with heavy match bullets.
260 has capacity advantage in a bolt gun.

25-284 will run in a Remington short action. Most all 25 cal bullets aren’t very long so no issues with mag length.

But if your doing the expense of barrel, reamer, go/no go gauges, dies (or barrel, smith, and dies) cases are the inexpensive part of it.

The thing with the 25 Creedmoor or the souper is that everything 6.5 and 260 that I already have will work by just changing the bushing and seating stem. The reamers are readily available and able to rent so that is negligible and covered in the cost of getting a barrel done. The Smith I used didn’t charge me for the reamer rental on my Sherman build.

25-284 will run in a Remington short action. Most all 25 cal bullets aren’t very long so no issues with mag length.

For me Yes, for a youth probably not. I like the little to no recoil that the other two have for a starter gun. Either one will push a 110g-120g bullet fast enough to be a great deer and under gun.

Back