PEAX Equipment

25-06

worm

Has anyone ever killed an elk with a 100 grain NoslerBallisticTip out of a 25-06? I have used this round for years. It always been my go to gun and round. Taken whitetails, antelope, and muleys but never elk. My wife has a bull tag this year and I was considering taking this gun and round?

Gun is fine at moderate ranges, change the bullet. Too fragile. The 115 Partition would be my choice and what I shot out of my 25-06.

The Berger vld 115 grains put elk down quick! My wife hasnt shot out past 400 yards though?

The BT is far to frangible. The caliber will work, although it would sure not be my first choice. When using small calibers, it is imperative to stay with a heavy premium bullet and pick your shot well.

I have both my brother and my daughter running 25-06 120 grain Fusion bullets:

http://www.fusionammo.com/ballistics/rifle.aspx?id=611

My brother has killed three elk with three shots in the last three years with it. He shoots a Ruger #1.

My daughter tips over deer and antelope with hers. However, she uses a custom 30.06 built by Ambrose Thomas who worked in Colorado Springs when he was alive. I had the gun built in the '70s and have passed it on to my daughter for elk hunting.

I've been using a .25/06 since 1973 and shoot either 115-gr. Nosler Partitions or the old Hot Core Speer 120-gr. spitzer. Neither bullet has ever failed me on numerous deer and pronghorns. I load either bullet ahead of 55 grs. of H-4831.

I have killed elk with my .243 using Barnes 85 grain TSX. Pass through and broke the off side shoulder. I would not hesitate for one moment to use a 25-06 on an elk. A bigger gun does not counterbalance a crappy shot.

I would not in any way, shape or form use the Ballistic Tip on an elk out of this gun. Use an Accubond, Barnes X, or something else that is designed to hold together.

I have killed elk with my .243 using Barnes 85 grain TSX. Pass through and broke the off side shoulder. I would not hesitate for one moment to use a 25-06 on an elk. A bigger gun does not counterbalance a crappy shot.

I would not in any way, shape or form use the Ballistic Tip on an elk out of this gun. Use an Accubond, Barnes X, or something else that is designed to hold together.

Right on the money.

Thanks for the comments. NP's it is. Hope my 25-06 likes them as we'll as the NBT.

I'll bet it will be just fine. It does not have to be as pin point either. Elk are big and have a great kill zone. You should easily be able to keep them inside a couple inches at 100 yards. Try to keep them off the shoulder if possible and punch them in the lungs/heart. You will own that elk. I think pound for pound, the white tails that I have shot are tougher than elk. If you put that bullet through both lungs, you will not follow him very far. Good luck.

The 110 gr. Nosler Accubond in my son's 250 Ackley is adequate out to 300 yards with good shot placement....

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back