Caribou Gear Tarp

.243 Rebore

Combine them both .
Re barrel and re chamber to a 6mm/06

The action is most likely a short action and the bolt face would be too small on his Ruger Hawkeye in .243win. Would need a long action to make the jump to the 6mm-06.

If you're just wanting something different get acquainted with reloading and experiment with load and bullet development for the 243win. Reloading will unlock the potential you already own in that Ruger. When you have shot the throat out with a ton of hot rounds have the chamber reset and rechambered in 243AI. or better yet just get a custom barrel in 1:8 twist in 243AI so you can take advantage of some of the heavier bullets in the 100 to 115 range.

Have fun.

Have you tried shooting lighter bullets in the 30/06 in an attempt to reduce recoil? Loading light Barnes TTSX bullets might be an answer. Also, Remington sells ammo they call "Managed recoil" which has much less recoil than full loads, but they use specially designed bullets that are designed to mushroom at the lower velocity. My 10 year old grandson uses them, and he was able to take a deer with them.
I do think the .243 would be sufficient for deer hunting. I don't think you will reduce the recoil much by going from the 30/06 to the .308 with similar bullets.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Last edited:
What Rancho said.

My .243 hasn’t heard the inter webs tell it elk won’t die from it. Buy a 6.5 Man Bun and then you’ll be so cool no one argues with you.

How much does Reboring cost?, I’ve never heard of it before. My Wife has killed a number of elk with her .243.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back