‘22 + ‘23 MT Horn Measurements

Interesting info. Especially comparing rams from all over the state. First time I've seen it. mtmuley
Definitely not part of the age pattern shown but maybe it’s true. I wonder if it was entered wrong?

Not much about it makes sense. Unlikely a deadhead because there are no other deadheads listed for any prior years and it’s the only “Other” for 2022. Musselshell county is quite a ways from sheep country, and the Dec 7 date is well past the latest hunting season closure. Maybe it is 5** because there is no open unit there, but there is a 1** that says “Hunter Harvest” too.

Unrelated but related. Check out that ram from HD203 on 11/5. Based on quick scan comparing base and lengths across the state, that appears to be the largest ram taken this year in MT....and it's not coming out of the Breaks. I made the point a couple of years ago....where are the 17" base rams that used to be fairly commonplace on this spreadsheet 10 years ago in 482, 622 and 680?

Last edited:
Ope, I do see one in 680 taken on 10/12 that green scored 17" bases. Not quite the length as the 203 ram, but I'd take either one :)

Unrelated but related. Check out that ram from HD203 on 11/5. Based on quick scan comparing base and lengths across the state, that appears to be the largest ram taken this year in MT....and it's not coming out of the Breaks. I made the point a couple of years ago....where are the 17" base rams that used to be fairly commonplace on this spreadsheet 10 years ago in 622 and 680?
When they don’t get killed as 5.5/6.5 yr olds it’s amazing to see their potential when they hit 10.5 or older.

Stupid question. Am I missing something? Unit shows a harvest on 9/28, 10/26, and 10/31. How was season still open 10/31?

Last edited:
Was it possibly a ram shot on a ewe tag? Not sure what "other" would mean.

Pretty sure that most all sheep tags in MT are any sheep, aren't they?

I'm always surprised at how young the rams are in MT. Wonder how long they actually live?

Was it possibly a ram shot on a ewe tag? Not sure what "other" would mean.

Pretty sure that most all sheep tags in MT are any sheep, aren't they?

I'm always surprised at how young the rams are in MT. Wonder how long they actually live?
I do take the age with a tiny bit of a grain of salt. You would think these people sealing rams know what they are doing but sometimes they don’t. Shot a ram in CO and the gal plugging it was just about to write down the age on the sheet and I asked what she came up with. She said “I get six.” I laughed and asked if can we get a second opinion? She said sure, and after the two DOW employees gave it another go they write it down on the checkout sheet. I asked what they came up with this time, the answer was the correct one…12.

Guy who answered the phone at R5 didn't know and the regional sheep biologist is in the field all week according to his voicemail. I'm going to get to the bottom of this mystery!
I like it! Let us know what you find…..curious minds want to know🤔!

I do take the age with a tiny bit of a grain of salt. You would think these people sealing rams know what they are doing but sometimes they don’t. Shot a ram in CO and the gal plugging it was just about to write down the age on the sheet and I asked what she came up with. She said “I get six.” I laughed and asked if can we get a second opinion? She said sure, and after the two DOW employees gave it another go they write it down on the checkout sheet. I asked what they came up with this time, the answer was the correct one…12.
The ram listed as unit 3** with 16”+ bases doesn’t have bases anywhere near 16”. I put my hands on that ship and would venture to guess they are closer to 13.5-14”. Whatever FWP employee that one probably needs a new tape.

I do take the age with a tiny bit of a grain of salt. You would think these people sealing rams know what they are doing but sometimes they don’t. Shot a ram in CO and the gal plugging it was just about to write down the age on the sheet and I asked what she came up with. She said “I get six.” I laughed and asked if can we get a second opinion? She said sure, and after the two DOW employees gave it another go they write it down on the checkout sheet. I asked what they came up with this time, the answer was the correct one…12
For sure its subjective and there are lots of opinions. Most people under age them if they don't know much, while I think many hunters way over estimate them. A 12yo bighorn is something.

Unrelated but related. Check out that ram from HD203 on 11/5. Based on quick scan comparing base and lengths across the state, that appears to be the largest ram taken this year in MT....and it's not coming out of the Breaks. I made the point a couple of years ago....where are the 17" base rams that used to be fairly commonplace on this spreadsheet 10 years ago in 482, 622 and 680?

I noticed that too. That ram in 203 is likely the biggest ram from that unit in many many years. I also thought the size of the rams in 482 and 680 appear to be down compared to previous years.

I noticed that too. That ram in 203 is likely the biggest ram from that unit in many many years. I also thought the size of the rams in 482 and 680 appear to be down compared to previous years.
Too many permits? mtmuley

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back