2024 New Mexico Draw Results

"Denial Season" is a summbitch. I also struck out in AZ and NM...again. Fingers crossed on CO! Congrats to those that were luckier than me, though.

I didn't get drawn in AZ or NM for Rifle Elk this year, looking at OTC in Southern CO. Any Suggestions?
Welcome.

People aren't going to give you any good advice for OTC tags on the forum, unless they are braindead. Sending every person with a two-hour-old Hunt Talk profile asking for spots with GPS coordinates to their honey holes means they won't remain honey holes.

Furthermore, if you insist on asking for this, start your own thread please.

I will leave you with some tips for getting advice. Pick some, but perhaps not all at once. I see you have already tried the "sprinkle posts all over Hunt Talk" strategy, so I'll leave that one off.

- begin post saying, "I'm not looking for honey holes."
- make your profile photo an attractive female.
- say you're a wounded vet
- say the advice is for your 97-year-old dad who has stage 4 pancreatic cancer, uses a walker, but doesn't mind "getting after it to get it done"
- say the advice is for your 13-year-old with autism spectrum disorder who has no friends, smells his own farts and eats his own boogers

The things may or may not be true in some cases, but either way, you'll get more advice.

Welcome.

People aren't going to give you any good advice for OTC tags on the forum, unless they are braindead. Sending every person with a two-hour-old Hunt Talk profile asking for spots with GPS coordinates to their honey holes means they won't remain honey holes.

I will leave you with some tips for getting advice. Pick some, but perhaps not all at once. I see you have already tried the "sprinkle posts all over Hunt Talk" strategy, so I'll leave that one off.

- say the advice is for your 97-year-old dad who has stage 4 pancreatic cancer, uses a walker, but doesn't mind "getting after it to get it done"
- say the advice is for your 13-year-old with autism spectrum disorder who has no friends, smells his own farts and eats his own boogers

The things may or may not be true in some cases, but either way, you'll get more advice.
If they use phrases like "old warrior" or my favorite "adult onset hunter" I send GPS coordinates immediately via pm.

I think the recommendation is that only the primary draw uses points.
Supposedly. Creep is getting a lot of talk. Look in the state specific threads for CO on this site.
Good discussion there.
The last recorded commission meeting had some tech glitches, but I believe is fixed and released in full now. I’ll rewatch it and retract my statement if I heard all that wrong. But, I believe both scenarios of point burn is being discussed. Appreciate it.

Anyway, on topic, congratulations to all heading to NM this season

Welcome.

omg that is Hilarious.

i can definitely give a few pointers to hunting SOCO -
  1. Research Elk moose elk Habits
  2. Study Maps
  3. Scout the Area
  4. Use Binoculars and Spotting Scopes
  5. Listen for calls
  6. Be Patient and Persistent
  7. Follow Regulations

Refunds are hitting. Pretty sure pronghorn and javelina hit no Barbary yet. Anyone know why ones for $85 dosen't compute.

We managed a decent spread of tags this year.

My wife drew cow elk and barbary.

I managed javalina and pronghorn. Laughing a bit at the pronghorn, I gave up on them in Oregon years ago when it took 15+ points to draw, and kinda figured I would just contributed to nmdgf party funds with my app fees.

Now in a quandry as to a rifle for the speed goat. I have a 30-06 that is a shooter for my deer and elk, but am wondering if something shooting flatter is better. Wife shoots a 7mm-08, not so sure that caliber would be the right choice, but at least we'd be shooting the same ca'tridge.

Blessed to have four - it's funny, we don't put in as a party, figuring we increase the odds of hunting in the household by staying separate. But even at that, we have often drawn the same tags. This is most likely our last resident hunts in NM, so we done ok.

David
NM

I managed javalina and pronghorn. Laughing a bit at the pronghorn, I gave up on them in Oregon years ago when it took 15+ points to draw, and kinda figured I would just contributed to nmdgf party funds with my app fees.

Now in a quandry as to a rifle for the speed goat. I have a 30-06 that is a shooter for my deer and elk, but am wondering if something shooting flatter is better. Wife shoots a 7mm-08, not so sure that caliber would be the right choice, but at least we'd be shooting the same ca'tridge.

Blessed to have four - it's funny, we don't put in as a party, figuring we increase the odds of hunting in the household by staying separate. But even at that, we have often drawn the same tags. This is most likely our last resident hunts in NM, so we done ok.

David
NM
Why mess up something that works? Go with a 150grain in your 30-06 and enjoy the meat!

David
NM
The wife and I have the same setup. She loves her 7mm08 I load 120gr SST in a reduced recoil killed several antelope and a pile of deer. I've used a 7mm-08, 270, 243. as well as my 30-06 to kill pronghorn. The 06 with a 150 gr partition is still my favorites load for pronghorn.

David
NM
Congrats on all the options. I’m another one who would encourage you not to over-think the pronghorn rifle too much, unless you just want to buy another one. My dad uses his 340 Weatherby for antelope. It kills ‘em. 😅

Last edited:
Why mess up something that works? Go with a 150grain in your 30-06 and enjoy the meat!
I have come to that conclusion, at least to start. The Hornady SST look tempting for a try - right at 3000 fps, and when it comes down to it once you get out to about 275 yards gotta go clickety click or be good at estimation of elevation.

Looking forward to this.

David
NM

Sea of red for me this year. My strategy did not pay off at all. OTC barbary and Texas white tails for me this year.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back