2023 Colorado Mule Deer Day-By-Day Videos

Can't believe ya'll passed on that 3x3.....He shot a nice one, but man...So many nice deer in the GMU.

Sad and pathetic what the CPW has done to deer in NW Colorado. Sorry but it is down right criminal what you saw compared to what that hunt could be... It is not CWD but piss poor management.

It is nothing more than greed, and $$$...

So just kill em all before CWD gets em? Or just take all the money before the wolves come in?
Both.... It is sad... I could get into a bunch of data for the area but, it is very apparent the plan. I think the other point. Is if they start killing down the animals now, people will eventually forget how good it was and in 6-8 years when the wolves do all the damage they will not be nearly as on the hook for the low numbers.

They literally killed thousands of doe in NW Colorado the last several years because they lowered the Herd Objectives which meant they had more deer than the objective which then meant they could kill the doe again by a couple thousand.

2 years ago the meat packer in Meeker had to quit taking animals because they had too many dead doe mule deer to process... When My dad dropped off his buck for processing there were 14 doe hanging and another 22 laying on the ground. That was opening morning of 3rd season at just one packing plant.

This is a silly take. There may be reasons for deer license quotas that you don't like, but it has nothing to do with license revenue.
HAHA. What ever you want to tell yourself. It is a factor if it was not a factor why has Colorado not went 90/10 for all draw licenses? Sorry but $$$ is always part of the decision.

We just got this buck's age back from Matson's Lab. I was wrong, again.

This exercise of trying to age bucks on the hoof is like throwing darts for me. But, going through this exercise and forcing myself to realize how little I know based on antler size is helpful as I try to find 4.5+ year old bucks.

I thought this was a stout 3.5 year old buck that would have this batch of does until the old boys showed up. Nope, he's 5 years old. This might be as big as he was ever going to be. I doubt he was going to blow up into a 180"+ buck on his 6th, 7th, or 8th year.

Reading the comments on genetics, milkers, and other factors, from @antlerradar and @WanderWoman, on the MT thread seem to apply to this buck.

If any of you want to challenge your skills, I'd suggest having Matson's age some of your animals - https://matsonslab.com/

That was beautiful country! Is it out west of Grand Junction between there and the Utah border? Used to drive that a lot out of Denver and Greeley in road trucks. Always liked it over there!

While traveling I forgot to put a link to the fist of these day-by-day videos. Since the Fresh Tracks+ crew got to binge watch them last month, I'll post them both here at the same time on the same thread.

Part 1:

Part 2:
Mule Deer are on my bucket list! These videos were top notch btw!

Back