2020 WY hunt

cwitherow

In 2018 me and a friend went on our first western hunt. We learned a lot and while we saw some, they were usually on private. We hunted public land exclusively. We hunted area 9. We are looking to go again in 2020, with one preference point each (we dropped the ball this year). We are hoping to stay on the eastern side of the state, coming from Minnesota, but would be willing to go a little further for better opportunities. I'm wondering a few things:

How consistent are areas from year to year in terms of game on public land?
Should we consider researching getting onto some private land?
Has anyone subscribed to the GoHunt Insider, and is it worth it?

Any help or insight is always appreciated!

Welcome to HT!

We are looking to go again in 2020, with one preference point each (we dropped the ball this year).
You haven't dropped the ball yet. You have until the end of October to buy a preference point for next year. I would recommend doing that.

How consistent are areas from year to year in terms of game on public land?
Hard to say. But unless there's some sort of severe winter kill, you can generally expect about the same numbers of tags to be issued year over year. And not really a way to predict that anyway, so don't focus too much on that.

Should we consider researching getting onto some private land?
Not with two preference points you shouldn't. Plenty of public land options.

Has anyone subscribed to the GoHunt Insider, and is it worth it?
A lot of us do, but for what you're talking about, save your money and use it to buy an OnX subscription for Wyoming. I'm not saying GoHunt isn't valuable, it's just got limited value when you're doing a Wyoming antelope hunt because Wyoming is so good about getting information out there--a couple of hours on the Wyoming website studying the draw odds for the last couple years and then an hour or two studying the maps on that site figuring out good access routes is all you need.

You’re likely stuck in the eastern half of the state. Can’t think of any units off hand in the western half that you can draw with 1 point.

Private land isn’t a necessity to come home with some antelope with 1 pt in the special. I’d put in for a unit that took around 1 pt last year and put a unit you can draw as a second choice. Maybe try a different time of the season. I’d suggest scouting a few days before opener and getting it done opening day.

I don’t think gohunt would add much value here. Pick a unit you can draw and apply. The WY fish and game Hunt Planner and the draw odds have just about all the info you need. Good luck.

Another option you might consider is go for doe tags, it will increase your chances to draw a tag or 2 , you can learn the area and plan a future buck hunt

Pronghorn are all over the place in Wyoming so no matter the unit you'll have a very good chance at finding animals. Private land can certainly be an option especially with doe tags. A lot of landowners welcome reduction of animals and won't charge you. I don't know about bucks, however. Also, some areas open early to private only tags. Gohunt Insider is great and can make research a lot easier, but it's not necessary. I'd definitely recommend OnX for pronghorn hunts. Landowner names are on there too so you'll know who to get in touch with if you go that route.

Look around Casper. There is a zone that takes 1 point.

In the NE of Wyoming numbers took a beating this past winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oras
Back