2018 Muzzleloader Buck

dk17hmr

I put in for a muzzleloader only tag this year with a good friend of mine that has never drawn a buck tag. The odds of getting this particular tag are very good and we both drew. I have been hunting this area for several years for various animals with different weapons so I have a pretty good idea where to go.

I got this guy with a 205 yard shot from my CVA optima V2 with a 250gr Thor bullet pushed with 110gr of Blackhorn 209, might be over kill but it shoots great.

I’m not going to claim it was the best shot I have ever made but it got the job done. Right as the shot broke he took a step forward and turned, the bullet entered in front of the rear leg through the guts on a path that went through the liver and caught the back of the lung on his offside. The bullet went right through and broke ribs on its way out. I gave him time to lay down and stiffen up because a poorly hit antelope will travel crazy distance if pushed. When he turned after the hit I could see a large blood spot already on his offside flank in the middle of the body. He made it a couple hundred yards laid down in a ditch and gave up. Not the way I like for things to happen but sometimes that’s the deal.

My best buck so far. I was by myself hunting, my buddy had to work. I boneded out all the meat and got it in my pack, attached the head to the outside of my pack, got all my gear and rifle, and hiked out the 1/2 mile to the truck in one trip.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back