MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

2017 Colorado 3rd season

FLXHunter

Hey was just curious how guys did on 3rd season Co elk in the southern part of the state. I hunted 3rd season in a unit that my dad used to hunt years ago when we lived there. Also had other family that hunted there as well and did pretty decent. My brother and I went elk hunting for the first time last fall . Other than a glimpse of a cow through the trees on opening morning didn't see any elk during season. We were up to 4 miles off the road so we had tried to get away from some of the pressure. We were in 65 so if someone would be interested in sharing how hunting was in that unit I would be grateful. I am just trying to figure out if its was a tough year, unit or if I am that bad of a elk hunter! I am try to see where I made mistakes and learn from them.

I live on the western edge of 65 and even though I'm newish to the area, I can tell you that it was a weird weather year and bad for most elk hunters out here.

I hunted a private ranch in 78/81, and other than a small 5X5 and a couple cows, didn't see anything. Heard some bugles, but not much. Tag soup.

Colorado sucked last year due to weather. Hot, Dry, Windy, It’s going to be much better this year.

Yea the weather was pretty warm! I had some spots picked out on the map and my dad had told me we wouldn't be able to get there that late in the year because of snow. Well we got there and we camped at 11000 with just a patch of snow here and there.

In 2015 the estimated success rate in 65 was 23%. In 2016 it dropped to 15%....18% in 2017. The same trend seems to be holding true for other south west units. Too many variables to really know why but the weather has been warmer (in 2016 I spent an enjoyable 70 degree day at 11,000 feet). Last year I had one day of true cold and snow where I hunt and the rest of the 9 day season was mild. So, yes, it was a tougher year. That said, the herd estimate for that area was pretty much the same in 2015 and 2016 so statistically speaking the chances were the same even though the success rate changed.

I had a December cow tag for a unit north of Flattops in 2017. Because of warm/dry weather, the majority of elk did not migrate off Flattops into this unit. I saw a few, but did not connect. I didn't get cold, though. Barely any snow midmonth, hunting @ 7.5K elevation.

That means there will be plenty of elk left for this fall! It has been about 5 years since there was "normal" snow in CO in Oct/Nov. We may be dealing w a new normal.

We was in Flattops for 3rd rifle & there was PLENTY of snow at 10K. Like bottom of my knee. Tuff to get up to the the elk.

Hunted 65 in 1st rifle. We saw a nice 6x6 with a cow opening morning, and two groups of small bulls towards the end of the season. Only bumped into two other hunters that had made a harvest, one a bull the other a cow.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back