Caribou Gear

2016 elk

Callnkill 101

Hey. I just joined this site and looking for some helpful info. I'm in the process of getting a 2016 elk hunt together. I will be buying a Colorado otc tag. I have been looking into the San Juan area and just wondering if I could get some info from someone who has actually hunted there. I'm just looking to fill my freezer since it's my first elk hunt. I have read that it can be packed with hunters? I will be going during the archery season. THANKS.

I'm sure there are elk there. Calf survival has been abysmal the last several years, so populations are down. There will probably be a lot of hunters, but 10-15% of them are able to fill their freezers on a given year. Understand that going in and you are sure to have fun.

I'm sure there are elk there. Calf survival has been abysmal the last several years, so populations are down. There will probably be a lot of hunters, but 10-15% of them are able to fill their freezers on a given year. Understand that going in and you are sure to have fun.

Curious on why the calf survival rate is down? And thanks for the info, and it's all about having fun anyways!

There's no way calf recruitment would go down after getting rid of a bear season, that just doesn't make sense.

But numbers are up in the NW/NE and down in the SW/SE. How does this overlay with the bear population and historical hunting?

Whoa, whoa, don't let your facts get in the way of my rhetoric.

If I'm reading the graph correctly, I don't think I would waste my time on any additional research with 30 calves/100 cows.

I think tapping the brakes on antlerless harvest a bit and monitoring trends over the next couple years would be enough for the time being.

If I'm reading the graph correctly, I don't think I would waste my time on any additional research with 30 calves/100 cows.

I think tapping the brakes on antlerless harvest a bit and monitoring trends over the next couple years would be enough for the time being.

So I got curious after you said that and took a look at the population objectives for the SW region elk herds. Turns out there is only 1 of 14 elk herds in that region that is below the population objective, which has been the case for at least the last 3 years. I would say that they have the number of licenses figured out, but they could obviously sell more if they could get that ratio up to 50:100. But I think they are more concerned with the long-term sustainability of herds at 30:100.

Is 30:100 enough to sustain the herds at the current population and harvest levels?

I honestly don't know, but IMO/E it seems like 30:100 isn't a bad place to be depending on your herd objective.

Is the objective to increase the herds in that region of CO?

I hunted units 70, 71 & 711 for about 5 years, the last year was 2008.
tons of hunters.
Personally I would never hunt it again. JMO

Kevin

I don't know the answer to the 30:100 question. Population objectives are set and being met right now, so no plan to increase populations.

I'm guessing that if we had all of the long term data sitting in front of us like they do, we would see that calf:cow ratios used to be higher, along with license numbers.

I do find it interesting that the NW region is performing so much better than the SW region. If I had to venture a guess, I would say it is drought-related. The SW part of the state has been very dry for a long time, save for a couple of wet winters.

Maybe it would be prudent to conduct some research into what's going on...rarely is too much research/information a bad thing.

Well this is my 2 cents worth on this, I live in NM New Mexico and I believe that the mortality rates on calves are directly related to too many predators, it has also affected the deer population especially on the bucks as they are more solitary than the does, making them easier targets. Cats population is out of control.

Buy a Wy point this July and try an draw a general tag there next year.I'm not a fan of Co otc hunts in archery season.I use to hunt otc in unit 55 and never ran into anyone;now a draw tag.Do some research on otc units and you may find a few really good hunts;population,success rates,hunters per sq mile.Co has a good website for researching units.You have a year to figure it out,but make sure to buy a Wy point this summer;you won't regret that.You will go back every year after your first hunt.Its really that addicting

You should have got a point this year. Even having one point will get you a tag in some draw units. Better than OTC. Some like OTC units. I'm not one of them.

If you plan to come to Colorado more than once it doesn't make sense to just buy an OTC tag. Always put in for a unit, get a point for failing the 1st pick, and then buy an OTC tag. That way you build points up while still hunting every year.

@mixedbag. I think I'm gonna take your advice and see about buying a point for wy. I stayed in Buffalo for the summer about 5 years ago and spent a few weeks in the big horns. I just figured it would be impossible to get a tag. Maybe I should have researched harder. Thanks for the info..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back