2014 diy elk bow hunt

swilly

I read Hunt Talk all the time, but this is my first post. Looking for some info. I'm from Minnesota and have been out to Montana 3 times bow hunting elk and have yet to get one. I have been hunting in the Taylor Fork(Shedhorn) area and have seen a few elk. I am thinking about trying the Gravelly Range. I am willing to hike in 5-8 miles. I am not looking for specific "honey holes", but a general area.

I spent some time in the Gravlies this past year. Theres a good number of elk in them, as well as a good number of mulies too. I was chasing some off Johnny Ridge Rd. The last day I hunted out there I saw two nice bull taken off it. During our rifle season the check station down south of Ennis saw some of the better harvest numbers come through it. Heres a website that will help pin point some spots. I've used it dozens of times. Good luck. http://svc.mt.gov/msl/mtcadastral/

The gravelly range is a nice area. Elk are there, and you can get into fewer people if you hike in 3+ miles. I backpack hunt them a fair amount, and the number of people dwindles very fast after you hit the 3 mile mark. Part of the gravelies require a mule deer permit to be drawn so be sure you know where you are going.

Find areas away from roads and trails. A lot of folks hunt the Gravellies, but you'll eliminate 90% of them in the first mile or so, and a lot more after 3+. The west slope is much more open than the east slope.

Send me a PM if you have more specifics.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back