Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

2013 Deer Hunt

Doug in Idaho

A story teller I am not and It's taken me a bit to get these posted from our deer hunt this year so i'll let the pictures do most of the talking. I killed an elk with my bow in September and now I could focus on important things in life like hunting mule deer. :) There were 4 of us in camp this time, my dad, brother, a cousin, and myself. My cousin and I had already hunted a few days earlier in the month and had seen quite a few deer so we were looking forward to going back and hunting it for several consecutive days. Here's the camp. Weather had moved in while we were there so it was nice to have the wood stove. Dad's a pretty good camp host.
DSC01517 (2).JPG

The storms and wind had the deer acting pretty different than they were earlier in the month but we were finally able to pinpoint where they had gone. My dad doesn't usually get too excited to pull a trigger but I was glad to see him get excited when this deer walked in front of him. (he wouldn't pose for too many pictures). Dad has had 1 knee replaced already and is getting the other one done later this month. Pretty tough old man, I was glad to gut it and get it out for him.

IMGP0065.JPG

IMGP0068.JPG

IMGP0063.JPG

We saw plenty of deer over the next few days. My older brother had never killed a 4 point and he was able to get it done on the last night we were there. The only picture I have of his is this one on the back of the trailer with my cousin's deer as well. Both are smaller 4 points. He bought an Encore with a 300 win barrel on it and missed a deer earlier in the day. I was giving him crap about not being able to get a 2nd shot off with it being a single shot. He made sure to make the 1st shot count on this one. My brother was pretty stoked.

DSCF4366.JPG

I had passed up quite a few deer, several that I was kicking myself over when about an hour before dark on the last day I jumped a good buck. This is what I walked up to when I walked up to him.

IMGP0077.JPG

I knew he was wide when I shot but was pleasantly surprised to see him up close. It had all happened so fast I hadn't really looked him over too close. My buck and dad's must have the same dad as they both decided to grow weak left sides.

IMGP0083.JPG

DSCF4351.JPG

All in all it was a fun deer season and I was sad it was over. I love living in a state where I can buy a tag and hunt deer every year. Money may not buy you happiness but it can buy me a deer tag which is pretty dang close!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back