2012 Wyoming Public land bull

fiveptbill

I didn't have to much time to rifle hunt elk this year. I have spent to much time helping other people and doing other things so the wife was getting a little impatient. We went in the night before the opener to find some of the bulls we had seen during bow season. We found a couple of good bulls.

big bull.jpg

The next morning we went in well before daylight to get into position. We accidentally came up on the wrong ridge. When it started to get light we realized our mistake and hurried to get into position. In our haste we got upwind of them and they winded us. There is not much more depressing sound then 100 elk running off in the dark. They were still bugling so we were able to say on them. At one point I had a good bull at 432 yards but it was just to dark to shoot. With the bulls still bugling we just kept dogging them. after about a quarter mile a gunshot rang out in front of us. Let me correct myself that is the most depressing sound in the hunting world. But right after the shot we could here running elk. This time they were not running away but toward us. I ran thru the timber to a little high point to get a little bit of a vantage point. At that point I could see elk coming thru the trees. At first it was just a trickle then a flood. Two small bulls stopped at 30 yards. I was just about to pull the trigger when I heard a bigger bull bugle. I looked to my right and saw him coming thru the trees. I told my buddy to get the camera ready. As soon as he stepped into one of my shooting lanes he stopped. I held high shoulder and squeezed. At the report the bull dropped. We got to him and he was everything I hoped for. It wasn't till I got the pictures on the computer that I realized it wasn't the bull we had seen the night before. 12 hours later we had the elk and camp to the truck and were on our way home. My rifle elk season was 30 minutes long.

eld resize.jpg

Here is a picture for Dink.

smileys.jpg

Thanks to Mhungerford for his strong back and Black Widow Firearms for building a rifle that is good for long range and 40 yard shots in the timber.

Sweet bull. Congrats! And trust me, Dink appreciates your show of support.

Sweet, for a second when I saw your rifle, I thought you were going to war...good thing it was just an elk! haha

Great bull. Congrats. Nice of you to think of Dink amongst all that excitement.

Nice of you to think of Dink amongst all that excitement.

Pfff who wouldn't:D?

Although, I did notice that you must have been hungry and ate one of your tasty friends before the photo. 4 man, always 4. :D

Resist the temptation.

P1010601.jpg

I apologize for not being able to find the real clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK7PkCXg-ow

Back