Yeti GOBOX Collection

2011 MT Unit 215 Antelope

bighouse

Well my luck in the draw this year was amazing a UT LE Archery Bull Tag, a MT Unit 380-20 tag and then to top it off a MT unit 215 antelope tag.

After filling my bull tag on opening morning of the rifle season my buddy Scott and I went up to Freezeout Lake to shoot some ducks since there were few ducks around we headed back south to Deer Lodge. The heard of antelope in this unit is not huge as they only give out 25 tags but word had it there were some good bucks around.

It did not take long. The first evening I missed a buck twice at 350 yards, I will blame it on the wind as it was blowing pretty good.

The next morning we looked over about 15 different bucks all off them looking about the same size with a few smaller ones mixed in. None of them stood out as being considerably bigger or a monster. Note this was my first antelope hunt and to judge an inch or 3 at a few hundred yards was difficult not looking at these animals all the time. As we were looking over the main heard of goats trying to put a plan together I turned around and two bucks were about 400 yards behind us. One of them was small but the other looked very respectable. Time to make a move. I closed the distance about 100 yards and got set up for the shot. Miss again what is going on. Miss a second time. The plan was to get them to move further away and test my skills but they decided to casually walk towards me. So I let them close the distance to 225 yards and dropped the hammer one last time and he fell in his tracks. Ended up green scoring 75 2/8 not bad for my first goat. Montana is an awesome place with great people and beautiful country.

Attachments

• Antelope.jpg
    Antelope.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 605
  • Goat 2.jpg
    Goat 2.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 617
Awesome buck!
The biggest antelope I've seen in the last couple years lived just East of Drummond. I think he got killed this year though.
That area does grow some really nice bucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back