Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2011 AZ archery Mule deer

That is an awesome Desert buck. After I get Coues' and other Whitetails out of my system, I'll be looking for a Desert Muley.

--Bill

Flippin awsome!
It is sad the Mule deer population has dropped so much in the southern units. I talked with the bio a few years back and he said too many years of bad drought and some diseases took it's toll. When I hunted down there 17 years ago with my bow it was awsome how many deer you would see a day compared to now.
Unfortunatly back then carbon arrows, flat shooting bows, and modern range finders were not around yet and even though I was a way better shot than I am now i sucked at judging yardage and only took one good buck down there, but man I saw some brutes!

Schmalts-

I don't think the bio's have a total grasp on the reasons for mule deer decline in some of the units here in this state, while the coues deer are expanding their range. All the drought discussion has been going on forever, seems like when all else fails, blame it on the rain. There is a game and fish study enclosure in azgmu 22 that contradicts the drought theory. a one square mile predator free enclosure will max out what would be deemed a healthy carrying capacity of 50 deer/sq.mile in about a years time. Same rain, same vegetation but a 30% higher fawn crop. its an interesting deal if you want to check it out, heres the link: http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/research_fire_predation_mule.shtml
I've talked to Mr. Cunningham, the HMFIC of the enclosure project - cool kat, real informative. and unless the brass has muzzled him, he's got some great opinions....

Thanks again boyz- stay loose...

Dave

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back